Thirteen Days Of Glory: Day One, February 23, 1836

el

This series of articles is guest posted by Elvis Chupacabra!

The Alamo Siege

February 23, 1836:

General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna reaches San Antonio with a large body of his troops, mostly cavalry. Much of his assault infantry, engineer troops and siege artillery are strung out along the road back to the Rio Grande. Of these, many of his native troops, lightly dressed for the warmth of Mexico, have suffered in a late and particularly harsh winter storm along their hasty, forced march towards the rebellious province of Tejas.

Correctly assessing the situation, Col. William B. Travis sees this as the beginning of the Mexican investiture of the fortified Alamo mission and its grounds. He sends a dispatch to the town of Gonzales seeking assistance:

The Alamo Mission, Convent and Environs

“To any of the inhabitants of Texas. The enemy in large force is in sight. We want men and provisions. Send them to us. We have 150 men and are determined to defend the Alamo to the last. Give us assistance.”

Travis and Col. James “Jim” Bowie also send a dispatch to Col. Fannin in Goliad. It reads:

“We have removed all our men into the Alamo, where we will make such resistance as is due to our honour, and that of the country, until we can get assistance from you, which we expect you to forward immediately. In this extremity, we hope you will send us all the men you can spare promptly. We have one hundred and forty-six men, who are determined never to retreat. We have but little provisions, but enough to serve us till you and your men arrive. We deem it unnecessary to repeat to a brave officer, who knows his duty, that we call on him for assistance.”

“We have one hundred and forty-six men, who are determined never to retreat.”

Santa Anna orders the red flag of “no quarter” flown from the San Fernando church, in clear view of the Alamo defenders. A regimental band begins to play the the ancient, haunting Deguello dirge. Travis fires his 18-pound cannon in exuberant, if futile, response.

With the morrow far from certain, the first long, dark, restless night of the Alamo siege begins…

About WeeWeed

Sarcastic cat herder extraordinaire. And an angel.
This entry was posted in 2nd Amendment, As I Remember It, Celebrations, Heros, Mexico, States, These United States, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Thirteen Days Of Glory: Day One, February 23, 1836

1. ottawa925 says:

Elvis, I like the way you are telling this story. You’ve got me hooked already. I learned something cause I never knew this event began end of February. I anxiously await the next chapter. Well done, Elvis.

• elvischupacabra says:

Thanks… It’s an emotional event for me and a lot of my fellow Texans. Sadly, political correctness and our left-leaning education system is diluting its meaning more every year. It has been called the American Thermopylae with good reason.

I wrote this last year and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it reposted this year!

• retire2005 says:

Next month, our county TEA Party meeting will be on the importance of the stand at the Alamo and the importance that Texas stand tall in the continuing fight for our freedom. In 1836, no other place in America better represented “taxation without representation” than did Tejas.

Mexico recruited Anglos to solve their Commanche problem, yet, even after the Anglos converted to Catholicism, and became Mexican citizens, in order to settle in Tejas, Mexico broke every agreement with the Anglos. And let us not forget the immeasurable contribution to the Tejas revolution made by Tejanos, those like Juan Seguin, who also laid their lives on the line to defend their homeland. It was even worse for them, because Santa Anna viewed them as traitors, who should be put to the sword without trial.

• ottawa925 says:

Elvis, I’m enjoying. Also, did you notice we share the same person in our gravatar?

2. retire2005 says:

A story that must be told, and retold. The Alamo, the most visited historical site in the U.S., beside Mount Vernon, represents a part of Americanism that many have forgotten; a story of those who died so others could live, in freedom.

• canadacan says:

I’m really enjoying this.

• arkansasmimi says:

I remb as a child, about 9, while we still lived in our homeland of Texas, my parents took me and my brothers to the ALAMO and other Old Texas Missions one yr. Very fond memory. In 2003, my dtr grad from the USAF Basic Training. Afterwards we went downtown. I was TOTALLY SHOCKED how the ALAMO ls now. It is literally lost among parking garage on the backside, stripmalls and all kinds of shops! It was really sad for me. My dtrs friend said “THATS IT?” Meaning among all the CITY stuff.

I truly enjoyed your article!!

3. sundance says:

What a GREAT idea. Excellent…. A treat to look forward to daily. Well done.

4. SR says:

Can’t wait for the rest of the series…well done!

WE, the collective WE, need to spend more time with our roots, evidently some have forgotten.

5. Tuduri says:

Elvis, looking forward to the series. Although I live in California, I’ve been to Dallas and Houston several times with my daughter for gymnastics competitions. We’ve been to Bella and Marta Karolyi’s gym north of Houston several times. My brother and and his wife love to go to San Antonio in the winter. My dad says we have some ancient roots in Galveston, too. Anyway, a very nice beginning to your series. Remember the Alamo!

6. myopiafree says:

This is an old story. Santa-Ana had discarded the Mexican Constitution. Then he declared himself “dictator” for life. Then he ordered the confiscation of all firearms in Texas. At that point, Mexican citizens in Texas were loyal to the Constitution – and NOT to Santa Ana. Thus they flew the MEXICAN flag over the Alamo. So Santa Ana attacked his own country men. A tragic story indeed.

7. Cherpa1 says:

I love the spiritual Alamo. Visited there 20 plus years ago and know for a fact, I saw Jim Bowie.

8. Menagerie says:

Thanks E. Hope we do this every year. Of all the American stories, all the American heroes we can look back on, learn from, surely those who died defending the Alamo are among the greatest. The more I study this story, the more I learn about it, the more I think about it, the greater and more profound it becomes to me. Sincere appreciation for your skills and your knowledge.

9. czarowniczy says:

You need go no farther, you had me at ‘engineer troops’. Alamo+Mexicans+Southwest USA versus Pearl Harbor, Japanese and Hawaii. The more we win the more we lose. Now we have a Kenyan Kuisling Klown in the White House to speed the inevitable along.

10. kinthenorthwest says:

Lived In Texas during the 60s…In 4th grade Texas History was part of the States educational program I was in 6th grade when I moved there so missed that..I took it as a extra course when I was in 10th grade and found it quite enjoyable…Also did get to see not only the real Alamo but the Alamo they used for the movie version.
    As a substitute teacher I have found that very little history is taught before high school greades any more…Maybe one or two hours a week if that much..They are teaching to the test in most schools now a days, and there is no history on the tests.
    Most Texans that go back generations are VERY proud of their Texas history and heritage…If you study Texas history one sees why…
    Thank you Elivis for bringing back some very fond memories in such a great way. I am looking forward to the the next installment..

11. Omar says:

I believe there is a photo of one of my distant relatives which hangs still at the Alamo. Micajah Autry. I’ve never been there myself to see it, but I hope to very soon.

• WeeWeed says:

When you see it “in real life,” it seems SO small – one’s amazed that that many men could hold the mission for two weeks against those encompassing forces.

• Omar says:

It absolutely humbles me to think of the courage and determination those fine men had! When I was studying for my history degree, this was one of the topics that really made me sit in awe. In part, because I knew I had a distant relative who lost his life there. But mostly due to the willingness of this small group of men to stand to the death for what they held dear and believed in.

12. WeeWeed says:

Elvis is right – it weighs heavily on Texans this time of year. Thanks, El!!

13. Pingback: He ignored Constitution, became dictator, demanded citizens’ guns, incited killings | The Christian Gazette