Friday Open Thread – January 25th

Tomb of the Unknown ChristmasOur Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL.

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

158 Responses to Friday Open Thread – January 25th

1. brutalhonesty says:

whats a citizen to do in such a situation if no gun?
    Jeffrey Musick shooting: DA rules cop justified in killing man armed with sword
    Officer Burnett had moved to a position in the middle of the intersection when Musick raised the sword overhead and broght it “down with both hands.” In Officer Burnett’s words, Musick “literally tried to, uh, slice me in half, I guess.” The sword traveled so fast and hard that it struck the asphalt and “sparks flew.”
    In response, Burnett says he backed away and drew his weapon as Musick approached. Again, from the report:
    I left[ed] my [left] arm up [demonstrating a defensive gesture] and I have a, he’s coming at me, I have a clear sight picture. And I fire two shots. In sequence, he was still in motion forward, I fired a third shot and then that’s when he stopped moving forward. And then I re-holstered my weapon.

2. texan59 says:

Happy Friday all! Couldn’t sleep so I did a little in the kitchen! :D

photo bacon-2_zps63ef3275.jpg

• Sharon says:

Yeah, I saw that, too. I remember when my mother was approaching the end of her days (in 1997) we certainly had a DNR on her for a list of reasons, but among them was this: the small town hospital attached to the lovely residential care home where she lived just could never let their old friends just die–EVERYBODY had to be saved! Somehow!! Oh, goodness, they meant well, but that was not good. She had osteoporosis so bad, if they had done extreme measures on her poor body, they would have immediately broken every rib and separated every joint they touched.

But now….for me? No way. Have already had conversations with sons, and some more will be coming up, in which I will explain that DNRs are no longer a blessed option for families wanting to spare their loved one pointless medical miseries—instead the DNRs are now the banana peels being spread on the floor by Dr. Ezekiel Emmanuel’s Board Of Freaks In Charge Of Accelerated Dying.

• texan59 says:

I haven’t really had this conversation with Mrs. Tex, but I do have some guidelines for my own DNR. I will not be told by the healthcare industry what those guidelines are however.

• ctdar says:

and no feeding tubes unless an obvious temporary measure!

• justfactsplz says:

I have a DNR on my mother. We had the talk when she went to the nursing home. She is so frail that it would indeed break her ribs. She fell Jan. 4th and broke her shoulder and now has multliple blood clots. I still know we made the right decision but it is still hard letting go.

3. texan59 says:

An interesting article. South Park and it’s reflection on our society. A little lengthy but very much spot on.

4. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’, all and TGIF – youse guys are up ‘n at ‘em this morning!! :D

photo ram54_zpscf49e4d0.jpg

5. stellap says:

The Real Obama Climate Deal

In other words, the EPA will “take care of it”.

In other words, with the election over, all pretense is gone. Democrats won’t waste political capital on a doomed cap-and-trade bill. Yet they’ll get their carbon program all the same, by deputizing the EPA to impose sweeping new rules and using their Senate majority to block any GOP effort to check the agency’s power grab. The further upside? Brute regulation is not only certain and efficient, it allows vulnerable Democrats to foist any blame on a lame-duck administration.

6. WeeWeed says:

A few words on the Lord of the Flies.

“..Barack Obama, redolent with the stench of false supremacy, is now convinced that he is the greatest man to have ever lived — not too difficult a task, since he had always suspected as much anyway.”

7. cajunkelly says:

Song just came to mind…
    Rise and shine in the early morning
    Shine your light all through the day
    Makes no difference what they tell you
    Stand right up and have your say
    Well the good Lord said he loves you
    And in him your strength you’ll find

more diet soda required to remember the rest, but that about says all I need to start this day :)

8. texan59 says:

Not that we didn’t already know this. Rush was right. :evil:

9. cajunkelly says:

This igtard just continues to prove his stupidity. First he admits to crappin his pants at the WH, and then his total meltdown at the “ignorable” parade:

• texan59 says:

I have no doubt that he had to make another trip to the cleaners after that slobberfest. What a fan-boi. Ugh.

• cajunkelly says:

This video is incomplete BTW. When biden comes along he freaks out again and actually gets biden to shake his hand. I’m expecting a followup confession that he experienced another bodily emission at that point.

10. ctdar says:

Keep your eyes peeled starting Sunday as merchants can start charging consumers a fee for using a credit card….some gas stations already do this.

• texan59 says:

Thank you Chris Dodd, you insufferable, drunken, thieving lout. Thanks for watching out for me. Ass. :evil:

• ctdar says:

Phew, relax Tx, according to this site looks like these 10 states are exempt from the possibility:
        -What are your rights and retailers’ responsibilities?
        Checkout fees are only permitted on credit and charge cards, NOT debit cards
        Checkout fees are illegal and, therefore, not allowed in 10 states. The laws of each state would determine whether it would be legal for companies based in other states to charge residents of its state. Residents of these states who encounter retailer checkout fees can report them to the state attorney general. These states include:
        California
        Colorado
        Connecticut
        Florida
        Kansas
        Maine
        Massachusetts
        New York
        Oklahoma
        Texas

• texan59 says:

This is just another example of what happens when the gubmint tries to solve a problem. We’re always the ones who get it stuck up our behind.

• Josh says:

I heard that 30 of the 50 states have Republican Governors.
          Just thought I’d throw that in…

11. texan59 says:

If your kid takes a class like this in college, you are both part of the problem, not the solution.

12. texan59 says:

“Hillary’s Little Helpers”

Why is it that the left almost deifies their stars? Almost seems like a cult to me.

13. texan59 says:

Call me cold-hearted, but this sure looks like another gift to the lawyers.

14. Sal Paradise says:

New York State Senator Ruben Diaz, Sr., while announcing that he had every intention of voting for S.2230, the draconian anti-gun “Democratic bill,” chided his fellow Democrats with a simple admonition: “It will not make a difference in the committing of crimes.”
    “I assure you, nothing’s gonna change. We have lost respect for life, we have no respect and fear of God,” Diaz told the senate. “Not until we go back to those standards, nothing’s gonna control crime.”

God help us……..

• Patriot Dreamer says:

Truth!

• howie says:

The fact is that homicide victims may possess firearms because they are likely to be victimized. In 2000 civilians used guns to defend themselves and other folks 989,883 times. In England. the rate of homicide is almost 6% higher since the 1968 compulsory surrender of guns by civilians. 15% higher since the 1997 handgun ban. In 2010 rifles were used in only 358 homicides. Miniscule. The claims of the gun grabbers are fallacious. They are not about reality but only about grabbing guns from law abiding citizens who do not agree with the political agenda. The facts do not match the panic. As usual. So Piers Morgan…KMA and go back to England.

15. ctdar says:

Obamas daughters….if NY’s Bloomie & Cuomo do not get their shyt together with the recent increase in beat downs/muggings/subway murders i wouldn’t be suprised if law abiding citizens disregard the state gun laws and start carrying again for protection.

16. maggiemoowho says:

What does it mean when the Supreme Court rules Obama violated the Consitution. What happens now. Fox just made that announcement, it had to do with some meetings while the Senate was in recess.

17. Josh says:

Welcome to SingleMuslim.com
    SingleMuslim.com is the World’s leading Muslim Singles service.

I’m not suggesting anyone visit the site. I’m just surprised that it exists.

18. Josh says:

Colbert’s sister entering SC congressional race
    “No joke: Comedian Stephen Colbert’s sister is running for a vacant South Carolina congressional seat.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/19/colbert-sister-entering-sc-congressional-race/?intcmp=obinsite#ixzz2J0d0fDJc

19. ctdar says:

Welcome to 2013, where the Creative Artist Agency/CAA represents Hollywood at the world famous Sundance Film Festival with bl-jobs, pole dancing & sex toys. The agency represents some high profile A listers such as Will Smith, Meryl Streep and Spielberg…also Coke, Dell & Mattel.

20. ctdar says:

FDR, please tell me you have a special level for this monster (& her parents) when she finally arrives?

21. Josh says:

Regardless of what, or who, is at stake, too often the Do Gooders call it quits when the money dries up:
    Genie Wiley – Secrets of the Wild Child

22. Sharon says:

Well, I guess it is as bad and worse than you can imagine. John Boehner is giving pep talks about the country to Lou Holtz.

23. Hullo, dahlings! Home early ’cause of teh snow.

My, but it’s been a busy week IRL. Lots of catching up to do around here, hope everyone is well!

24. Shall I open the bar early? Sure, why the heck not!
     photo French-75-interior-barshot-credit-David-Spielman-e1281098426117_zps79f5f87e.jpg

25. stellap says:

Just because I like it !!!!!

26. stellap says:

Wow! Get a look at this 78 million dollar home – for sale in Montana.

• WeeWeed says:

Dang, Auntie Lib, I thought you LIKED that house!! :D

• Okay, i wouldn’t turn it down if someone gave it to me but that’s a LOT of house!

• Sharon says:

My sister lived on Flathead Lake for many years, but not in that house!

I hope they’re not shocked the first time they fill those huge rooms for a dinner–lots of amazing views and wonderful full size catwalks (it would comfortably accommodate 40 for dinner) but their guests will discover there’s no place to park. 8O Maybe I missed it, but I sure don’t see parking for 8-12 vehicles anywhere….

27. stellap says:

Good News! Really good news! Wonder how long it will take the EPA to try to squash this.

28. Sharon says:

Tell everyone you know—–

Here’s the two plus two: Starting next year, you can wait until you’re sick to purchase health insurance. And if you do so, you cannot be denied or even charged a higher premium price. Here’s the four: Because the ObamaCare penalty to be uninsured is much cheaper than purchasing insurance, why not do exactly that?

As I laid out in this piece, because ObamaCare allows me to game the system in this way, for the first time in over 25 years, I’m an uninsured-American. Going forward, my plan is to pay the annual penalty, which is ridiculously cheaper than insurance, and only purchase health insurance should I get sick.

As soon as the masses figure out this option under Obamacare — that there’s even less of an incentive to purchase health insurance than there was before ObamaCare passed — that’s how the system crashes.

• howie says:

Why pay the penalty? They have no way to collect unless you get a tax refund.

• Sharon says:

They will be collecting bank account info as part of the process (it’s in the bill)…so they will just help themselves.

Since the IRS is in charge of managing the money end of things, anyone who files a tax return (whether they’re due a tax refund or not) will be pursued…it will be collected in the same category as delinquent taxes.

• SMH. This is insane. I might actually do it, considering I pay about $10,000 a year for insurance that we barely (thank God) use.We were just talking today about how starting next year our group won’t have to go through underwriting anymore. Not sure how the insurance companies are going to be able to stay in business.

• Sharon says:

The insurance companies won’t stay in business. That’s the plan on the part of the king: the collapse of the insurance companies (and the result that NO ONE will have health care coverage) will “force” single payer coverage.

Check.

• That what I said at work but they started giving me the “ooooookaaaay” look so I dropped it.

• Sharon says:

Sometimes the “oooooooooookaaaaaaaay” is followed, 2-3 months later, by a quiet comment along the lines of “Hey, ’tilda, remember back when you mentioned that thing about…..you know anything else about that?” (in a real quiet voice!! LOL)

You are the go-to person even when nobody wants to admit it. Even if you’re gracious about it–they know.

• ytz4mee says:

….but it’s true …. that’s not a bug, it’s a feature of the new plan ….

• ctdar says:

Insurance companies lower their rates….doctors cut their fees for cash payments from patients (bite the bullet so to speak) and will drive more customers to them…much like walmarts way of thinking. Drive obamacare off the cliff :)

29. Aaaaand…my screen name strikes again…just got called an Aussie slang term on teh Twitchy…LOL.

30. Oh my gosh, y’all, my big sister just posted this on her FB. Made me a little sniffly. It’s kinda long.

“So today I had the choice to go to lunch with my girlfriends or go to my girls school for the annual Walk for Life. While I would have loved to have a nice lunch, I wanted to be with my daughters for this special day at school. Over 400 kids, teacher and parents walk around the neighborhood with signs, posters, balloons, etc. It truly is just a wonderful experience, and it brought tears to my eyes.

You see, I KNOW that life begins at conception. Over 11 years ago I struggled with fertility issues and after some surgeries, many needles and a terrific reproductive surgeon, I has a successful in-vitro fertilization. I SAW with my own two eyes my daughters when they were a mere microscopic ball of cells. They were exactly 3 days old, before they were transferred into my uterus. I SAW 3 weeks later on an ultrasound their beating hearts. I SAW 7 weeks after that two distinct human babies with faces, arms and legs. I saw them every few weeks for months. I FELT them move around kicking and punching. And I SAW them exactly 6 months and 17 days after they were placed in my body on their last ultrasound. They were born unexpectedly 10 weeks early the following day. And then I HELD them, tiny little 15” long babies, who together totaled less than 6 pounds. And I KNEW their story, and I KNEW they were human beings from the day they were conceived.

I am so thankful for my husband and mother for helping me through all of it. I am grateful to my excellent doctor who thorough the gifts of God helped me. I am beyond happy as a mom, and I will always be in God’s service in the name of all unborn children.

So I did the Walk for Life, instead of having lunch with my friends. I did it because I believe that life begins at conception, and that all life is precious. But I also did it because of a poem that my mom always reminds me of. It ends like this:

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow,
    But children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
    So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
    I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.”