updateI am tempted, VERY tempted, to take a trip down to DC and challenge New Jersey, New York Republicans on this issue on camera…..  weighing logistics and timing, but the vote is Friday…..

Chris Christie is not, repeat NOT, a conservative – He is a progressive.   He just wailed, screamed, protested, begged, belittled and held out his tin cup on TV for federal money to bail out New Jersey from Hurricane Sandy.    He continually used the term New Jersey “innocent victims”…  well, exactly what other kind of victim is there?

You.Must.Watch.This.Video….. Please.

First, there is a big difference between feeling empathy and sympathy for those in the affected areas, and seeing lives impacted by the overwhelming force of mother nature.  I feel sorry for them to have felt the brunt of such a storm, and now for so many to have to rebuild their lives.   But to watch people begging the federal government to “make them whole” is  the ultimate in-your-face nanny statist expectation.

Since when does the federal government have a role in mitigating risk and underwriting personal decisions?

Let me just pause and share a timely article from Pam Geller:

The United States of America was created as an independent nation whose founding ideal was the principle of individual rights. Freedom. Ayn Rand said that “freedom, in a political context, means freedom from government coercion.” America was the first moral government based on individual rights, the nation of the Enlightenment.

In this age of Obama, that ideal has been tossed aside for … “free stuff.”

I have, for some time, struggled with the new reality: America void of her reason, existing without the reason for her existence, her morality. It did not seem possible. And yet what now seems impossible is that America ever was. As we revert back to the age of the primitive, the fact that America happened at all is nothing short of a miracle.

The United States of America was the rational man’s shining hour.  (more)

right_wing_extremist

Watching Governor Chris Christie (NJ) and Representative Peter King (NY) beg the federal government for “bailout” money is sickening.

“They’re in New York all the time filling their pockets with money from New Yorkers. I’m saying right now, anyone from New York and New Jersey who contributes one penny to Congressional Republicans is out of their mind. Because what they did last night was put a knife in the back of New Yorkers and New Jerseyians.

It was an absolute disgrace… And why Republicans have this bias against New York, this bias against New Jersey, this bias against the Northeast. They’re wondering why they’re becoming a minority party? Why they’re going to be a party of the permanent minority?

What they did last night was so immoral, so disgraceful, so irresponsible. They’re supposed to be the party of family values? Yet families are starving, are suffering… I’ve had it. As far as I am concerned I’m on my own. They’re going to go a long way to get my vote on anything.“

I am not that old, yet I can well remember a time of independence in our nation when we railed against intervention from the Federal Government. Entire towns used to gather and stand at the outskirts on the streets telling federal authorities to turn around and go away – We don’t need your help.

Now, everyone, even Republicans, appear to be willing to stand on the doorstep to the regime hat in hand.

What the heck happened.?

Yes, hurricanes and natural disasters occur.  It is nature.   This has happened for years, eons.   Tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, fires, floods et al have wiped out people and their property for all time.   Entire towns have been wiped out.   This is not anything new and will happen again, unfortunately.

Yes, homes and property are destroyed.   That is why people are told to purchase insurance.  That is why Mortgage companies will not lend money to build a home without the home borrower purchasing “insurance” in the event of loss.    That is what “insurance” is for;  and beyond the coverage you may or may not have within your policy, your entire life savings can be simultaneously wiped out as you attempt to rebuild your life.

The federal government has a responsibility to respond in the immediate aftermath to protect the lives of people.  Then to clear the way so that people can use their resources, key words “their resources” to rebuild their lives.

It is not the role of federal government to rebuild your life for you.   Arguably it is not the role of the State Government either, but that is a decision made between you and your elected officials.   YOUR elected officials.

Why should a “federal” taxpayer in Kansas be mitigating the risk -through the federal government- of your decision to live on the coast, the beach, or in an area at greater risk from disaster, and then simultaneously be tasked with paying for your life to be rebuilt and get you back the flat screen TV?

If you cannot protect yourself, and your decision do not protect you from the impacts, and your local government cannot assist, and the State Government cannot mitigate, then why the heck should the federal government step in?

I think one of the proudest moments in the life of a conservative Floridian was when Jeb Bush, on the heals of four cat IV virtually simultaneous hurricanes in the summer of 2004 (Frances, Gustov, Ivan, Jeanne) being called to congress to provide information.

Bush and other coastal governors were asked what the federal government could do to assist them.   After all other governors gave their opinion, then governor Jeb Bush paused and said “nothing”, just stay out of our way and allow us to rebuild with our own plans, resources and emergency/contingency funds.

Why should the federal government be intervening in New Jersey and New York?

Why should they be provided any bailout money?

Why should John Boehner and the Republican Majority in the House of Representatives be raked over the coals for refusing to send buckets of your tax dollars to them?

Please share your thoughts in the comments and help me to understand how this type of logic aligns itself with “individual responsibility.”

Thanks.

Baby Newt

About these ads
This entry was posted in Bailouts, Decepticons, Dem Hypocrisy, John Boehner, media bias, Political correctness/cultural marxism, Socialist, States, Statism, Tea Party, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Two Nanny States – New Jersey and New York Beg Fed For (Sandy) Bailout – Question: Since When Should Feds Mitigate Risk?

1. Sharon says:

It doesn’t. But you already knew that, did you? :( Thank you for putting the nightmare into words. It’s necessary to do so….

And Pam Geller’s line ” As we revert back to the age of the primitive, the fact that America happened at all is nothing short of a miracle.”….. that’s a fact. And so few understood that.

Which is why they kept telling us to shut up when we were yelling about the breakins and the embezzlement–just troublemakers. That’s all we are.

My internals are turning toward hardheartedness toward those who will now come bleating and yelling and pounding at our doors in the months ahead…. in fact, I do believe that, with scorn, there might be use for whichever Marx brother it was that did…..”slow–ly I turn–step by step, inch by inch…..” That’s the way I’m beginning to feel inside toward the nation wreckers.

And we all know those who are NOT nation wreckers: they are those who were willing to talk in negative terms, using complete sentences, about barackhusseinobamamayhisnamebestrickenfromtheearth, three years ago and two years ago. We know who the nation wreckers are not.

More folks will be waking up in the months ahead–but I will never trust them. Never.

2. ar10308 says:

Hey Christie,
    Pay for it yourself. YOU are the 1%. Especially the banksters in NYC.

3. Arkindole says:

“Such is the decision you make when you choose the location to purchase property, choose where to work, or start a business, and to a greater extent where you choose to locate your family.”

Ohhhhh man SD; did you just hit my hot button. I made the choice to live at ground zero. I’ve been through a half dozen hurricanes where we went outside and played in the eyes after 138 mph winds passed directly overhead and sucked the water out of the P-traps. The other FL members know what I mean here. My sister-in-law lives in NO, and went through Katrina. She ate the repairs. She actually decided to buy a house out of the ghetto region that flooded (and needed to be removed). Our houses were maintained to tolerate the stresses. Do the majority of Floridians whine? Not really. The biggest issue after Francis and Jean was that people wanted ice (power out), and that’s what FEMA and the state focused on–friggin ice… I’m the one that RAISED my hurricane deductible because I prep for these things and put back money for repairs instead of playing the Ponzi insurance scheme.
    Again, look at the socioeconomic class that whines with a “natural disaster”. Look at the attitude that they need to be reimbursed somehow (for some reason). Look at their spokespersons. Watch the blue tarps go up on roofs that will eventually be replaced with FEMA money–when, in fact, the majority of those roofs and underlying structures were shot to begin with. Sure it’s unfortunate but any part of the country can have adverse weather. It used to be called “Act of God”.
    Two words: Individual responsibility. Gone.
    Another two words: Tsunami bomb. Coastal urban blight.

• thefirstab says:

Hi, Arkindole, sounds like my upbringing. Eating Sterno-heated soup cuz power was out; helping neighbors (during the eye) get huge broken limbs out of windows.
      When my folks moved to S FL, they made the responsible choices needed in purchasing insurance and preparing for storms we KNEW were inevitable. (we waited until they hit Cuba to see if we might be affected). I will take a hurricane over a tornado; there is usually adequate time to see where the storm is headed and prep, or leave the area. .
      That’s life on the Coast – deal with it.

• Arkindole says:

“I will take a hurricane…”
        That’s for sure…as a kid I spent many nights in a cellar in northeast TX when that city siren went off. That baseball sized hail is much worse than a coconut moving sideways.

4. A Tornado went through the north part of Minneapolis, Minnesota. $80 million in damages.

Besides a few new sidewalks, not much help from FEMA.

5. mcfyre2012 says:

I was disgusted watching those whiners from New York and New Jersey. I noticed they all failed to mention the pork in the bill that had absolutely nothing to do with Sandy. Does the EPA really need millions more in funding? And why does Amtrak need more money? And Alaska fisheries?

• WeeWeed says:

Exactly. 2/3′s of the bill IS crap, nothing at all to do with Jersey OR NY, and both those a#$holes know it.

• cajunkelly says:

Of course they know it. They intentionally take these PORK items to a heart string pulling bill that they know will pass.

It’s nothing short of extortion.

I thought obama was gonna stop all this BS pork.

6. michellc says:

I’m sorry for those people but other than that there are more of them is it any different from a neighbor I’ve witnessed lose everything to a tornado or a fire? My neighbors have never expected me to pay to rebuild their homes, they either went to their insurance companies or the few who did not have insurance rebuilt as they could afford to rebuild, all of them living in travel trailers, old falling down mobile homes that barely made the move in one piece or RVs until they could rebuild.
    Not to say that as neighbors we didn’t help them at all, everyone helped with as much as they could but we didn’t go to neighbors in the next county and say give us money so we can go buy them stuff they need.
    We didn’t write our reps and say give them money.

I just have never understood why when a natural disaster happens does the government have to rebuild lives?

7. jordan2222 says:

Progressivism has matured. It has now fully developed into an official contagious disease. At least one half of the population are in the advanced stages and it is spreading like a wild fire in a forest of dead pines. NO ONE is safe. It is so carefully disguised that only a few of us know how diagnose it. Once it is contracted, there is no cure. The only known defense is knowledge.. lots of it. Write the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence into your heart. Pray fervently. Avoid contact with those that are affected. You cannot save them.

8. howie says:

60 billion free money? Dang how many “victims” are there?

9. griz1234 says:

Why bother with insurance, when you can just whine for Uncle Sugar to bail you out?

10. Coast says:

Christie played politics right before the election…he seems dissatisfied with the results.

11. cajunkelly says:

Lying jackass. STARVING? seriously? This sort of hyperbole is what hardens me.

12. Coast says:

Everyone should create a YouTube account..and post comments on YT too.

13. LouDaJew says:

that’s how I feel about how Obama keeping irresponsible home buyers in their house when they bought because the market said. let the prices drop and kick the irresponsible buyers out, so people like me can buy them for the price they should have been going for in the first place. the prices only went up because investment banks knew they could make money off of the sad sacks that bought off the high prices. I’m sick of the government keeping these irresponsible buyers afloat.

14. BertDilbert says:

This is funny, the politicians get a taste of their own medicine. If you do not give then you do not get, that is how the political system works in the US. Sure, the Republicans travel to New York and get the money but that money is in exchange for something. If the State of New Jersey is not empowered to bribe politicians, then they get squat. This is how the above 2 have played and accepted the game, the way things work. Will they get off their duffs and scream for change? Hell no because they will be taking money for something next election cycle.

Since they now know that the Federal government is not going to be their for them, Christie can raise taxes to create a contingency fund for in the event of future emergencies. That would be prudent yeah? That is what households do with their budget, that something held in the event of a rainy day. Option two which might be cheaper is to have voters approve a political slush fund to make donations in the event of an emergency because everyone knows that congress is for sale at a fraction of the funding cost.

15. texan59 says:

Both of those fat basta*ds can go shove some more donuts down their pie-holes. Boehner hasn’t done much right lately, but I’ll give him kudo’s for a day or two. I’m not gonna bet the farm he’ll hold any tougher on this than anything else. Teh Won will prolly call him to set up a golf game if he’ll just hook up the brothers in NY and NJ. We’re gonna pay one way or another.

There are a bunch of idjits in the Houston area who live on some rivers that habitually flood. They come out every year and b*tch and moan that the “evil” insurance company is trying to screw them with their high premiums. These same people have rebuilt 4-5 homes in the same spot. :evil:

• WeeWeed says:

THAT’s one of my personal bitches – MY insurance being high for dumbasses to live on a waterway. You know, there’s a GOOD reason our founding fathers didn’t build on the beaches or riverbanks…..

• texan59 says:

“This procedure that was laid out is fully acceptable and fully satisfactory. It provides the full $60 billion that we require,” said Representative Peter King, a high-ranking House Republican from Long Island, New York.”

Congressman King, please explain to me why you need an extra $40B over and above direct “aid” for the victims. I guess since it’s under $100B, it’s kinda like the petty cash fund. They’re all assholes. :evil:

16. retire2005 says:

Just a short 15 months ago, a county in my state lost almost 1,700 homes to wildfires. You can look it up. It was called the Bastrop Complex fire.

The lamestream news basically ignored it, although Fox did have a few reports on it. Well over 6,000 people were displaced. Most lost everything. The fire encompassed almost 40,000 acres. So while Governor Perry tried to get Obama to declare it a “national disaster”, Obama waited while the fires roared on for almost a week before he did issue the declaration.

Did you see Governor Perry on TV, whining how, months later, the feds had not helped? Did you those Texans begging for federal help on national TV? No, and you never will. And what was the FEMA help? Two FEMA representatives, sitting under an EZ-Up tent, taking the names of only those who did not have insurance. If you had insurance, you were given an 800 number in D.C. to call. Many never got through and those that did, never heard back from FEMA.

Americans, normal, average, everyday Americans, not the Federal government, came to the Texans aid; with food, water, clothing, bedding, medicine, baby needs like diapers and formula, and things to help the fire victims set up some kind of home in the RV, apartment, etc that served as their temporary housing. Most of the Texans who had lost everything didn’t even want the help. They just wanted to get on with their lives, and rebuild when they could.

Perhaps Gov. Christie (RINO) and Pete King (asshole) could learn a thing, or two, from the independent Texans who suffered greatly and simply got busy with the business of living and rebuilding.

Let Christie take care of his own state. He was AWOL when Texans needed help. You get what you give, Governor Christie.

• texan59 says:

We take care of our own. Now that I think about it, did I forget the big telethon we had with all the libtard music stars singing for us here. I just can’t remember that ever happening. Maybe I just forgot. :evil:

17. 22tula says:

My cousin and her husband had a State Farm Home Insurance Policy for almost 20 years. They never missed a payment and never filed a claim. On August 2012, State Farm Insurance cancelled their home owner’s insurance. My cousin called to find out why they were being dropped. State Farm told her because of the coming storm. My cousin said, what storm? SF said, the Big Storm that comes every 100 years. What? This was back in August of 2012! Something strange about that storm. Just saying. My cousin had no damage to her home.
    Also SF told her that they will not insure homes south of Sunrise Highway,(which is not near the water). My cousin also told me that some of her neighbors had their home owner’s insurance cancelled days before the storm. This is all I could find about Insurance Policy Cancellations.

Just so you know, all of my family and friends,(Dems & Rep), that were effected by the storm did not expect, or even think of asking for help from the government.

• jordan2222 says:

If you have lived in Florida for a long time, you may remember that many insurance companies abruptly canceled homeowner policies of folks who had never had a claim. I do not remember what year it was but back then, it was “illegal” to do that but most people purchased insurance through agencies during that era.

So what they did was to cancel the agency contracts and by virtue of that, all homeowner’s policies written by those agencies became null and void. I went from paying less than $200 per year to over a thousand for less coverage. I now pay almost $4000 per year. I think that deductibles for hurricane damage might now be fixed by law, but it’s a percentage and not a flat rate.

• sundance says:

Yes, Florida went through that exact scenario following the massive layouts of rebuilding costs following 02′/03′/04′ Hurricane seasons. Too much exposure for too few insurance companies…. the State stepped in to provide an option as everyone was being dropped, and the insurance commissioner was in full fight for years with Insurance companies about it.

Now, as the customer base expanded, due to dropped insures, the actuarians at other insurance carriers entered the florida market with their products. This expanded the base of insurance companies and spread the risk over more organizations – which was ultimately the goal. Prudential – Nationwide – and statefarm – had just too much exposure in one geographic area and could not support underwriting catastrophic events.

Now hundreds of smaller insurance carriers are selling insurance albeit at higher costs now that actuaries have historical claim data that is more “current” to determine risk.

However, some aspects within the insurance products, such as pool cages, screen enclosures etc. are no longer covered by standard policies -due to cost of replacement and the shrere amount of prior claims on thos items- and require a rider to add them at an additional cost to the insured….

• ytz4mee says:

Yup. Allstate dropped us (and everyone else in FL) after Ivan in 2004, and the insurance coverage we found to replace it was more expensive.

• Sharon says:

About five years ago, there was a terrific summer of hard storms with lots of damage in MN, and State Farm did the same thing there. We were not dropped–don’t remember why–maybe we were just in a county that fell on the good side of a weather-history line.

• jordan2222 says:

Sinkhole coverage is now outrageous. I had it and canceled it because I don’t need it so hopefully my rates will come down substantially this year. I had never read my policy closely enough to realize I had it and the Citizens controversy is what prompted to me to look into. It was NOT listed as a separate item in the cost of coverage section and I suspect that was done by design.

18. ytz4mee says:

Bite me, Christie. He thought the fix was in when he loved up on teh Won for the photo op before the election. Turns out teh Won doesn’t hold the checkbook. Huh.

• texan59 says:

Bet he wishes he had gotten that kiss after he got f*@ked by Teh Won. How ya doin ytz? :)

• ytz4mee says:

Hangin in there. Was just up in NYC, found out that the SM’s cousin almost perished in Sandy while rescuing elderly victims in a condo building. NYC is back to normal, but the people on Staten and Long Islands will be hurting and homeless for a long time.

19. jordan2222 says:

ytz4mee

I hope you had a great holiday. Have you been out spying lately?