Monday Open Thread – December 24th Christmas Eve

Tomb of the Unknown ChristmasOur Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL.

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Monday Open Thread – December 24th Christmas Eve

1. howie says:

I keep wondering about this Fiscal Cliff. From what I have learned it appears to immediately force a 10% reduction in Federal Agency Spending increases. It also returns the Tax Rates to the level under Clinton.
    Seems like reducing spending power in the 47% will reduce the demand for credit. That might be the real fear they have. It will make it harder to fight deflation. Fighting deflation is after all is said and done the name of the game here. It would….horrors….increase the value of a dollar.

2. canadacan says:

For those who are desperate and hurting this Christmas watch its a. Wonderful life with Jimmy Stewart and hopefully this will help you
    Feel inspired. there are going to be a lot of little silver bells ringing for angels earning their wings this year.
    Everybody has a guardian angel God never denies a request,for courage

• Sha says:

Canadacan : Thanks to a big hug from you and Sharon I shook the blues and started getting into the Christmas spirit , Thank you for the kindness it meant alot from both of you.

• canadacan says:

You are a unique and specialperson Sha

• Sharon says:

You’re so welcome, Sha.

….and for anyway who is still blue today, and expects to be blue and low through tomorrow–I’m here to tell you you aren’t required to cheer up. Seriously. During the years I dealt with depression, the people I learned to stay far, far away from were those who were determined to “make me feel better” and, of course, I figured out pretty quickly that that was what they needed me to do for their sake! Oh, well!!

There’s a necessary compassion in allowing those who struggle with low times…we can just stand by. Even if they feel more comfy sitting on the back side of the Tree where they aren’t quite as visible from the campfire. If anyone is feeling that kind of low today or tomorrow–here’s a hug for you. ((( ____your heart here____))) Seriously.

It makes perfect sense to me that Jesus had people flocking after Him during His earthly ministry–for one thing, those who knew anything about Him at all knew for a fact that when they were hurting, He would never give them that look that says, “Good grief, cheer up already.” Although He might sit quietly by such a one and perhaps after some moments say, “What’s wrong?” Jesus, the Christ didn’t put pressure on folks who were feeling low, and we don’t have to either.

So if anyone reading today or tomorrow just wants to be quiet and is feeling sad, just sit down here by me. Here…I’ll skootch over a bit and make room……

3. Sha says:

Merry Christmas to Sundance and to all the treepers. I have enjoyed being here so much. :D

4. maggiemoowho says:

I just read on the Fox news ticker that the US is sending small troops into 35 different African Countries to train their people to fight extremists. This disturbs me for some reason, why are we doing this.

• czarowniczy says:

Same stupid IDAD reasons I trained Vietnamese (to fight the VC/NVA) who became Vietnamese Communists, trained South American soldiers (to fight the various Communist insurgencies in SA) who flipped and went to various Communist causes, trained Mideast soldiers (to fight Muslim extremists) – some pf whom more than likely became Muslim radicals: the US does stupid things. We train and equip foreign soldiers in hopes that they’ll become our surrogates so that we don’t have to do our own dirty work. In some cases it turns out OK but all too frequently the soldiers (especially the officers) go in another direction. A lot of the Muj we armed/trained from ’79 on ended up in or training the Taliban, just as so many of the Iraqi and Afghans we trained/equipped will go over as soon as we pull out. We trained the Mexican special forces anti-drug unit that en masse flipped over and became what we now know as the Los Zetas, a deadly cartel that not only infects Mexico but has stretched into the US from north to south and east to west. If bad guys want training and equipment all they have to do is convince some US government bureaucrat that they’ll kiss our butts and do our bidding, we won’t have to get our hands dirty, and then they get a seat at the table. Don’t beat yourself up too badly, Russia and the Europeans have done the same thing and we all will do it again in the future.

• Josh says:

Probably because it is the Muslim Brotherhood they will be “training” and arming and the “extremists” of which they speak are the innocent “non-believers” (like you and me).

You are wise to be disturbed.

5. Omar says:

This season, my prayer is that each and every one of you feel the warmth of love that the Creator has for you; that unexpected belly laughter erupts from the very depths of your soul; that you receive and give smiles that are genuine; that each hug leaves a mark on your soul that carries you through the new year; that your barns are filled to overflowing; that your joy is unspeakable and full of glory; and that you come to realize in a tangible way that you are special, unique, beautiful, and NEVER alone. God bless you my tree house friends. Merry Christmas and a very, VERY Happy New Year to each of you!!!

• czarowniczy says:

Yep, and it’s usually SOP that police accompany firefighter to a scene, especially in an innercity area. Press gives short coverage to riots where firemen are commonly the targets of thrown (or fired) objects. Remember the assorted LA riots or the recent post-football/basketball riots in major cities where cars are overturned and burned and stores are looted and burned? Rioters and anarchists shooting at firefighters has been a fact for decades – yet another reason to blame guns and not the trigger-pullers.

• cajunkelly says:

And of course the filthy progs are there posting below that story, *demanding* a repeal of the 2nd Amendment.

I’d put money on that shooter *not* owning that gun legally.

Filthy progs; there are none so blind as those who refuse to see

6. Shalini says:

Wish you all a very blessed Christmas filled with faith, hope and love!! :)

Photobucket

• Ad rem says:

Dear Shalini….Christmas blessings and joy to your beautiful family as well! When you get the time, please tell us how your mom and expectant sister are doing too. :-D

• Shalini says:

Thank you for your sweet wishes, dearest Puddy!! :) Thank you for asking about my mom and sis. My mom is doing a bit better, thanks to all your prayers but I have come to accept that she may never be what she used to be. But God has been kind.I shared with you all that my sister gave birth to a baby boy and she’s visiting us for Christmas. Christmas when a baby is around is the best!! And I get be my baby nephew’s Godmother!! :D Thank you all for your prayers. Blessings and love. :)

• Ad rem says:

What wonderful news! I remember you telling us about the tremendous pressure she was under at her job, and how you worried that if she spoke up, the added stress might affect the baby. I’m so relieved to know that she had a healthy and happy baby boy. :-D Well….that baby will be even happier when he’s old enough to realize what a wonderful Godmother he’s been given too. I’ll continue to pray for your mom’s well-being as well. My father had the same condition as hers, and you just have to constantly monitor what they eat and make sure they don’t overdo things. I know….something much easier said then actually done.

7. Josh says:

I SO APPRECIATE THIS LADY!
    Rep Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL)
    Chairman, House Foreign Affairs Committee
    Very instrumental in the release of Jon Hammar
    Listen to what she says at 1:48!
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU Ms. Ros-Lehtinen!!!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your family!

Marine returns home after four months in Mexican prison

I’m so happy about this :-)

• Josh says:

Very sad and disturbing :-(

Every time I find a little hope in something, something bigger seems to come and take it away.

RIP Commander John W Price. I thank you and your family for all you’ve done for our nation.

8. Josh says:

There’s a Stirring

This is NOT Annie Herring singing. No one sings this beautiful song like her.

There’s a stirring deep within me
    Could it be my time has come?
    When I see my gracious Savior
    Face to face when all is done
    Is that his voice I am hearing?
    Come away my precious one
    Is he calling me?
    Is he calling me?
    I will rise up, rise up
    Then bow down and lay my crown at his wounded feet.

9. Josh says:

St. Jude Carol of the Bells

You will smile and laugh at the end of this one. She’s so cute :-)

10. cajunkelly says:

DH and I wish all of our friends here a Blessed and Merry Christmas

Photobucket
    And a very special tree for you Puddy! :)
    Photobucket
    (FTR, DH has never posted here, but he reads regularly.)

11. ctdar says:

“a Dad” is top 10 request on children’s Santas list….

may God bless all the Treepers and their families this Christmas season. I hope you all get everything you wish for now and in the future.
    Merry Christmas
    xo

12. cajunkelly says:

:shock: y’all watch this video!

How many of you know there is a mass grave at this site?

13. Ad rem says:

It’s a Major Award!!!
    Photobucket
    And don’t forget….the marathon is on at 8 pm tonight on TBS. ;-)

14. Wraith says:

SWEET! Here’s a Christmas present for all of us: Blogger turns tables on LSM

THIS, my brothers and sisters, is how you Get Things Done. :D :D :D

15. Hullo dahlings!! Happy Christmas Eve! Kiddos just went to bed, now we have to wait for them to be sound asleep so that Santa can work his magic.

I hope everyone is happy and well! I’ve noticed that some of us have been struggling with the “Christmas spirit” this year. I’m here to tell you I have too…there are so many things I left undone this year, because I simply could not muster the energy to do them. But I’m making my peace with it…really can’t wait to see the kids faces in the morning.

16. And the Wee just hollered down the hall: MOMMY! I’m not sleepy at all!”

He’s excited but he truly has no idea what awaits him. Don’t think he remembers last Christmas.

• ctdar says:

We always used the NORAD Santa Tracker, worked like a charm to get the kiddies to bed….especially when they realized Santa was just finishing Canada and would skip our house if youngsters not in their beds :)

17. Knuckledraggingwino says:

Just an update on the ambush of firefighters in New York

18. cajunkelly says:

Caution; prop your chin in your hand before reading this (from iOTW) to prevent it falling to the floor.

************************************************************
    I post this picture of Amitai Etzioni as a public service, so that if you encounter this creature in the wild you will not get close enough for the stupid to somehow get on you.

I’m sure The Huffington Compost is proud to have this “professor” writing for them. I will not link. You have to trust me that I am not making this up. It will be difficult, but trust me. This guy wrote everything I am about to post.

We should not wait for our elected officials, in President Obama’s good words, “to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics.” We should do our share. One way to proceed is to mark our homes, apartments and condos, with a “gun free” sign. Parents should notify their friends that they would be reluctant to send their child over for a play date unless the home was safe from guns. Residential communities should pass rules that ban bringing guns onto their premises, clearly marking them as gun free.

Please, remove your jaws from your laps. There’s more. Professor Peabrain offers his rebuttals to oft-cited refrains from self-defense advocates.

“The right to private gun ownership is guaranteed by the Constitution.”

• No right is absolute. We can limit gun ownership to people who have neither criminal nor mental health records and ban assault rifles for starters.

“Criminals would obtain guns anyway.”

True, dangerous people may still be able get their hands on weapons if tighter gun control laws are passed, but certainly less will do so when it is illegal.

I think we should start with banning the title “professor,” which is seemingly all too easy to obtain. Those loopholes need to be tightened.

********************************

I can only respond….O….M…..G!

• lovemygirl says:

Santa is bring me a box of goodies, about $4/round. Does it make you fell better that in the People’s Republic of IL we still can own really big weapons?