WiiFM… and Now For The Rest Of The Story…..

The New York City homeless man – whose gift of boots from an NYPD police officer became an online sensation – is back on the streets with no shoes.

The New York Times found him Sunday night wandering barefoot in Manhattan. The paper identified him as Jeffrey Hillman, formerly of South Plainfield, N.J.

Asked about the $100 all-weather boots Officer Larry DePrimo gave him on Nov. 14, Hillman says he’s hidden them because “they are worth a lot of money.”

He says he’s grateful for the gift, but he wantsa piece of the pie” because the photo was posted online “without permission.”  (more)

About these ads
This entry was posted in Dem Hypocrisy, Obama Research/Discovery, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to WiiFM… and Now For The Rest Of The Story…..

1. PatriotUSA says:

This is cruel but maybe he should sober up and get a job??? Just saying…….

2. Eric says:

Be thankful you got a pair of boots. This is very good proof of what happens when you give someone something that they don’t rightfully earn. Given, the cop give it to him out of the kindness of his heart but for this scum hobo to pull this stunt? Please….

3. sundance says:

:( Give a man a fish……

4. Sharon says:

And thus the nice policeman has learned a lesson in welfare 101.

5. ZurichMike says:

No good deed goes unpunished.

6. “Hid them,” Hell…he sold those boots for money to buy a 50-ounce jug of Thunderbird.
    You can tell he drinks that rotgut, his lips are black. It turns your lips black.
    A lot of folks arrive down here flying on Thunderbird.
    I remember the Gallo brothers celebrating the end of Prohibition by selling this unknown chemical concoction in the ghettos. The radio jingle went something like…
    “What’s the word?
    Thunderbird.
    How’s it sold?
    Good and cold.
    What’s the jive?
    Bird’s alive.
    What’s the price?
    Thirty twice.” :evil:

• Ad rem says:

Hey….nothing warms up a bum’s footsies quicker than a $3 bottle of MadDog 20/20. Known to be “as majestic as the cascading waters of a drain pipe”. Comes in a rainbow of nauseating flavors….but only the full “Red Grape Wine” flavor packs the 18% wallop. ;-)

7. TandCrumpettes says:

I knew this was going to happen.

It hasn’t been quite that long since we were introduced to Ted Williams either – how soon the public forgets. I knew Williams was going to turn out to be a disaster as well. I never bought it for a second that he’d been clean “for two years.” People called me “mean” and “hateful,” but the fact of the matter was that Williams and his girlfriend were involved in prostitution. At $20 a pop, girlfriend would have had to turn only two tricks a day for 5 days to scrounge up enough money for the security deposit on an apartment. The couple was homeless – no bills. Where was the money going then if not to drugs?

Its so obvious to me – I’m always proven right – yet, I’m the “mean” one for having the audacity to actually analyze the situation rather than giving my last penny to anyone who asks for it, no questions asked.

What pie is this dummy talking about? I’ve got some youtube vids up, people have shared them…I don’t make any money. There is no “pie.”

The photographer may have gotten paid for the rights to the photo, but it wouldn’t have been very much money. A family member of mine sold a video to NBC several years ago and got $300 for it. Assuming that the photog was paid similar to this, and considering there are 3 people involved in this story….I think the equity of the shoes, 100 dollars, seems like a fair slice of the pie.

Just curious, has anyone seen the documentary, “Reversal of Fortune?” Its worth a look. What happens when you give a homeless man $100,000 (and a financial planner) to get back on his feet? Hilarity ensues, that’s what happens.

8. akathesob says:

Someone is off their Meds again.

9. Sha says:

I saw this story and thought to myself ,that was a pretty cool thing for the policeman to do. It say’s alot about the kind of heart he has. I learned along time ago the hard way you can’t help someone who doesn’t wont to help themselves.

10. labrat says:

Back in the day…… when I lived on LI and partied in Manhattan, if you missed the 1ish train home you were stuck in Penn Sta until the 4ish train home. So what does a slightly tipsy 20-something do to pass the time? Why she lectures bums in exchange for smokes and sometimes food and drink. What I learned is that for the most part – being a bum is a lifestyle these people choose for themselves. Panhandling is their job, and they have honed their craft. Some even take pride in it.

• ftsk420 says:

Where on LI did you live

• Liberals USED to be the optimistic ones says:

AND how was that guy gonna panhandle in brand new boots? So, he had to either sell them boots or hide them cuz he sure as heck wasnt gonna find work if he could panhandle AND collect from the public dole at the same time.

11. dawndoe says:

I, too, learned a financial lesson the hard way. If someone asks you for money, for whatever reason, ALWAYS learn how they came to need money to the point of humbling themselves to ASK for it, especially if it is for a large amount. Don’t feel bad if you find the need to turn them down or offer an alternative solution. E.g., go buy them a meal or counsel them to let the house go into foreclosure and find an apartment. God doesn’t expect us to provide for those who blow their money while we’ve scrimped and saved for a rainy day.

• Liberals USED to be the optimistic ones says:

Years ago, I placed a sign over my desk that used to read: A lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part.

• Liberals USED to be the optimistic ones says:

sorry to repost, but I had to insert the following personal observation (I was raised by self professed communists who turned out to be hypocrites)

12. dawndoe says:

P.S. I don’t condone foreclosure, but if it is going to happen don’t let your money have gone to waste when it is going to happen anyway.

• ctdar says:

Yeah just saw news update, panhandler lives in an apt, paid by the US taxpayer. So not homeless at all and totally begs for extra income. Probably sold the boots given by the kindhearted policeman his most recent patsy.

13. scubachick75 says:

His piece of the pie comment tells me all I need to know about the guy. It’s unfortunate though because people will think twice about helping the homeless now because of it. However, I think when you are giving for the right reason, it shouldn’t matter what the person does with the gift. My husband gets mad when I give homeless people money. He says they’ll just use it for alcohol. I don’t care. I’m giving because it makes me feel good to give. I hope they use it on food but if they don’t, it won’t stop me from giving again. I’m sure most of them do spend it on alcohol but they can’t ALL be like that. And to me, that makes it worth it. It’s not fair to generalize and say all homeless people are scammers or alcoholics. Majority of them are but some have just fallen on hard times or struggle with a mental illness. Who am I to judge?

• cajunkelly says:

Who are you to judge? That’s for you to answer.

Now, who am *I* to judge? I judge by the information presented to me. He’s a scam artist who pimps a prostitute and lives in a government (read you and me) supplied apartment.

I once gave a man the last $10.00 I had on me. I’d seen him sitting on a sidewalk by a Circle K that I frequent for months. Something just told me to “help” him. I really didn’t have the money to spare but, on faith, I walked over and gave it to him. To my dismay he walked straight into the store and through the window I saw him purchase liquor.

I once felt badly for a man who rode a bicycle that he’d built a little box on the bax to carry his dog in. He was homeless and this dog and the bicycle was all he had.
      Then he somehow damaged a wheel on the bike, and couldn’t find food for his dog.

Youuuu guessed it, I paid for the repairs on his bike and went to buy the biggest bag of dog food (same brand *my* dogs eat….the good stuff)
      available. (yeah, finances were a tad better for me by then).

Ten days later he needed more dog food. QQ! Turns out he was feeding other homeless men’s dogs from what I bought, and charging them a fee. The dog food I bought was financing his drug and alcohol addiction.

Fool me once….

There won’t be a third time.

I’ve angered quite a few of those “will work for food” people who stand at intersections when I hand them a can of vienna sausage, etc. that I keep in my car for that purpose. Had one dare to throw it at my car.

I watched as one, at the end of his “shift” (yeah, they took turns at intersections) walked down 2 blocks and over three, got in his much-nicer-than-my-car and drove away. Later there was a newspaper article on this guy. He was making a very comfortable living at this…several hundred dollars a day. Of course he didn’t report this income or pay taxes on it.

Judgemental? YEP call me that if you wish. I’m also realistic and pragmatic.

Oh, and don’t forget brutally honest.

• ctdar says:

You said exactly what I think cajunkelly, those panhandlers pulling their shifts at the turnpike exits are the worst.
        I only donate to those of my choosing and never give to any of the solicitations that show up in my mailbox with free address labels.

• ftsk420 says:

I learned early in life that they are full of shit. I spent 2 weeks in Atlantic city and saw a homeless guy who at first I felt bad for. As the day went on people kept handing him money. At around 4pm I notice him packing up his stuff and he walked off the board walk and jumped into a brand new caddilac.

14. LandauMurphyFan says:

This young policeman’s spontaneous act of love for a fellow human is no less generous because it now transpires that the recipient appears to have been unworthy. I know Someone who died in agony as an act of love for me, and I know how little I have done to deserve such love.

According to Lucinda Vardey, in “Mother Teresa: A Simple Path”, there was a sign on the wall of Shishu Bhavan, the children’s home in Calcutta, that showed the Paradoxical Commandments . There are several versions of these, but this is the one that hung on Mother Teresa’s wall, Vardey says:

ANYWAY.

People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered.
    LOVE THEM ANYWAY.
    If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
    DO GOOD ANYWAY.
    If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies.
    SUCCEED ANYWAY.
    The good you do will be forgotten tomorrow.
    DO GOOD ANYWAY.
    Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
    BE HONEST AND FRANK ANYWAY.
    What you spent years building may be destroyed overnight.
    BUILD ANYWAY.
    People really need help but may attack you if you help them.
    HELP PEOPLE ANYWAY.
    Give the world the best you have and you’ll get kicked in the teeth.
    GIVE THE WORLD THE BEST YOU’VE GOT ANYWAY.