11 Deadly States – Taker (parasite) to Maker (host) Index

(Forbes)  […] Two factors determine whether a state makes this elite list of fiscal hellholes. The first is whether it has more takers than makers. A taker is someone who draws money from the government, as an employee, pensioner or welfare recipient. A maker is someone gainfully employed in the private sector.

Let us give those takers the benefit of our sympathy and assume that every single one of them is a deserving soul. This person is either genuinely needy or a dedicated public servant or the recipient of a well-earned pension.

But what happens when these needy types outnumber the providers? Taxes get too high. Prosperous citizens decamp. Employers decamp. That just makes matters worse for the taxpayers left behind.

Let’s say you are a software entrepreneur with 100 on your payroll. If you stay in San Francisco, your crew will support 139 takers. In Texas, they would support only 82. Austin looks very attractive.

Ranked on the taker/maker ratio, our 11 death spiral states range from New Mexico, with 1.53 takers for every maker, down to Ohio, with a 1-to-1 ratio.

undefined

The taker count is the number of state and local government workers plus the number of people on Medicaid plus 1 for each $100,000 of unfunded pension liabilities. Sources: the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and a study of state worker pensions done in 2009 by two academics, Joshua Rauh and Rovert Novy-Marx. Professor Rauh estimates that the shortage in pension funding is on average a third higher today. (For the second factor read more)

About these ads
This entry was posted in A New America, States, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to 11 Deadly States – Taker (parasite) to Maker (host) Index

1. Sharon says:

“A taker is someone who draws money from the government, as an employee, pensioner or welfare recipient.”

Ok. I’m sorry. I’m a taker. So shoot me.

It becomes easy to see (for anyone willing to look) how VERY attractive the death panels will be to the makers, when it comes to balancing the budget. We will be looking at the introduction of the old Inuit custom of the old folks just walking out into the cold to die–only instead of them choosing it, the list will be posted each day on the wall of the mess tent. We’ll check the list, and if our name is on it–we’ll shuffle off to Buffalo by sundown.

2. cajunkelly says:

“A taker is someone who draws money from the government, as an employee….”

Screw ‘em Sharon, I’ll fight alongside of ya. I am effin NOT a taker. I EARN my pay.

My job is one the *real* takers would be *royally* effed if I didn’t do it.

I guess they were afraid of being accused of being non PC if they didn’t include workers who EARN their pay and just so happen to be employed by the government.

Jackasses.

3. cajunkelly says:

And since when is a person who is benefiting from a CONTRACT made by them and the government, which was FORCED on us BTW, in the form of Social Security a TAKER?

That contract, which was forced on us, confiscates money from our paycheck on a weekly basis, and when we retire we’re “supposed” to be able to get back was is essentially a FORCED retirement savings account.

These people are :evil:

• cajunkelly says:

*what is

(sorry, too mad to type correctly)

• texan59 says:

“we’re “supposed” to be able to get back was is essentially a FORCED retirement savings account.”

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one ck. The whole SS ponzi scheme was framed that way for the public. It was in reality, one of the first redistributionist policies put into place. When SS was put into place in 1935, the average life expectancy in the US was somewhere between 63-65 (depends on where you read). While any given person might live past the “retirement age” of 65, a bunch of them were not going to collect a penny. There were nearly 16 working folks putting into the system for every one collecting benefits. We are now somewhere around 3-4 putting into the system for every one getting paid in some way shape or form.

Technology has outpaced the game in a way not foreseen. Life expectancy is now somewhere around 78. This was not cooked into the plan. Nor was the drop in reproduction rates. Nor were COLA’s.

Now we’re screwed and there is now way to really save the program without blowing it up. I’m betting there are a very few with the intestinal fortitude to propose a way to truly fix it. The pols will ride it down just like Slim Pickens did that missile back in the 60’s. Right into the ground and we’ll all go boom!

• Sharon says:

I think when the numbers begin imploding at a rapid and obvious rate, it will provide the perfect opportunity for His Royal Highness to announce that he “simply has no choice” and that “fiscal responsibility demands” that an immediate reduction in SS checks must be made–for the sake of the nation–somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35% in the face amount. Accompanied by a significant increase in the monthly medicare premium–instead of being $1200 a year, it will be $2,000 so these shirkers will be, finally, paying their fair share. And then, as a result of these steps, the elderly will begin dying at a rapidly increasing rate….so it’s all good. See how that works?

• Sharon says:

what seriously younger folks may not know (if their parents didn’t talk about it) is how desperately many of us and our acquaintances argued and tried to evade SS deductions beginning back in the 70’s. I remember friends of ours in CA absolutely going the rounds in various offices, because they were self-employed, trying to get out of pay it…and of course all failed. So if anyway wants to accuse us now of willingly going along out of greed or whatever, they’re gonna want to be careful whose face they say that to. We knew. We tried. We failed. So starve us now. Whatever. It’s almost to the point where it really doesn’t matter.

4. Dusty says:

Death panels to feed the rest…Soylent Green. This taker maker crap is just more division to stir us all up. The real true enemy is in DC and he has many aides telling him what to do next. I forsee a change of libertarian renewal in our future.

• Sharon says:

I’m no longer automatically opposed to a third party in my heart of hearts, tell ya that. I don’t believe I will ever vote for a republican again.

• ctdar says:

Me neither, contemplating changing party to independent after 30 years

• Sharon says:

My attitude still continues to be that third party is probably futile, but I refuse to have the republican wheel putting marks on my shoulder any more. Gotta figure some way to make a statement as I go out…. 8O

Not the arrangement I wanted, but it’ll have to do:

• ctdar says:

I will not be taken for granted anymore; I want to see the Republican party work to earn my vote.

• Sharon says:

It’s my opinion that they are not interested in my vote. I certainly don’t see them being motivated to “earn it.” That ship has sailed as far as I’m concerned, because they’ve demonstrated that they will (always) cave and do not have interest in being principled.

Just look at the current behaviors and speeches and press releases and interviews by republicans in Congress.

Tonight we listened to endless blather on both Hannitty and Greta–two full hours of blather–from a bunch of elected republicans. Oh, they string fine phrases together. But the words “cut spending” never dropped from the lips of any one of them–except, I take that back–Rand Paul.

They can sure talk tough now about “something’s gotta be done” about the deficit, about the trillions as far as the eye can see–where were they when it was all voted in?

Cowards. And John McCain is their president.

5. ytz4mee says:

I guess we’re “Takers” … although SM was hired to “take people out” … wrong “taker” ??.
    Actually, since teh Won’s second coronation, we’ve decided to be the biggest ticks on da dawg.
    Burn the house down.

• Sharon says:

Doesn’t make you a double taker?…which turns you into a maker?….or something?

• ytz4mee says:

:-)
        Convo with a former client today, after explaining why I couldn’t extend my work on the project:
        “Why are you punishing us? We didn’t vote for Obama”.

Sorry dude. Group punishment.

6. obsidian53 says:

My view is, If the United States can give billions to countries that hate us and wish us dead use the money to buy weapons that kill Americans then the US can give the disabled elderly and infirm money also. I have a service connected disability pension does that make me a parasite?
    Want to cut the deficit?
    Stop giving money to terrorist and nations that are our enemies.

7. genomega1 says: