Update Via Twitchy – Twitchy reported earlier today on Rep. Allen West’s ongoing recount battle in Florida, and tonight brought the discovery of a box of 304 ballots that hadn’t been read.

FLORIDA – The St. Lucie County Canvassing Board has ordered the retabulation of all early votes in the highly contested congressional race between Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) and Democrat Patrick Murphy, according to Jeffrey Scott Shapiro, a volunteer lawyer for the West campaign. The board voted 2-1 in favor of recounting the votes.

“This retabulation of all early votes as the Supervisor of Elections originally planned is a victory for democracy,” Shapiro told TheBlaze. “This restores some level of trust and public confidence in the system…it was the right thing to do.”

Starting at 9 a.m. on Saturday, election officials will retabulate a total of 33,379 ballots from all eight days of early voting in St. Lucie County, he explained.

West needs to gain just 249 votes from those ballots to trigger a statutory recount under state law, Shapiro said.  (more)

About these ads
This entry was posted in Election 2012, Tea Party, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to *Update* Allen West – Early Vote Recount Request Granted – St. Lucie County Canvassing Board Votes 2-1 for Approval….

1. akathesob says:

Most excellent news all day!

2. Yorkiemom says:

I pray this GOOD MAN succeeds. But I am afraid that in every close election those lousy democrats just seem to eck out a victory over the republican. Those sons of bitches are darn disgusting and deserve all the loathing that is sure to come their way as this saga that is Obama unfolds.

3. g8rmom7 says:

This one is definitely shady…West was WAY ahead of Murphy in the polls…like double digits right before election day. I was shocked it was so close at all…but then I remembered HOW MUCH the left hates this man and they will stop at nothing to get rid of him. It shows you how effective he is.

• jordan2222 says:

West also spent a helluva lot of money but those polls changed radically from one week to the next. I have a good friend who is an avid fan.. enough that she sent him money.. and she is far removed from his stomping grounds. I suspect a lot of his money came from others outside of his district. That said, I honestly believed he would win but black conservatives get little to no respect from other blacks which translates into no black votes.

I guess you noticed how much Sharpton supported him. LOL.

4. jordan2222 says:

I arrived in Florida in 1969. courtesy of the USAF and instantly loved Florida enough for me to finish my degrees and remain here. We have changed a lot and not all of it has been for the best. I ignore most hateful comments from others about our way of doing things but we do have a problem with voting.

Whenever recounts result in changes, that leads me to believe that the entire process is poisoned. You cannot be sort of pregnant.

I sent a friend… and West supporter…. the results of counted votes around 1 AM with West in the lead after 98 percent were counted. I later saw him ahead with 99 percent counted before I went to bed and I think he had close to a 1000 vote lead. So something happened very late to change the outcome.

Unlike some of my friends, I don’t dwell on fraud because it’s hard to prove conclusively, but I do believe the system is flawed and the people involved are incompetent.

Florida truly has become an embarrassment when it comes to voting. Why in hell can’t we count? I mean, crap, that is first grade stuff.

Who actually counts those paper ballots? Are they given proficiency tests in math? Are the machines fool proof?

Insofar as early voting, why don’t those folks vote via absentee ballots by mail instead of standing in line and bitching all damn day? It makes me think there is a helluva lot of last minute impulse voting going on. And, yes. I do wonder about so many of them being bussed to the polls and fed pizza but either party can do that.

5. Chip Bennett says:

Excellent! Some good news before I turn in for the night.

Remember, my Floridian friends: if it ain’t close, they can’t cheat.

As in 2008, in 2012 millions of Republicans failed to show up at the polls. It is that failure, and not voter fraud (though I harbor no doubts that such fraud exists, and may be widespread), that cost Romney the election, and will have cost West his re-election (if the recount upholds the election-night outcome).

So: don’t complain about vote fraud. Get your rear ends to the polls, and take your friends with you.

6. lovemygirl says:

Dangnabbit, lost an earlier post. Chitown pulls this stuff. 90% plus turnout in select precincts amounts to pre-filled out ballots for those that did not show up.

7. Mikado Cat says:

Friday.
    Judge denies West request for recount.
    Election board votes 2:1 to approve it anyway.
    Judge denies Murphy request to block the recount.

Saturday.
    Latest news is that the recount is happening now.

8. Sharon says:

My opinion:

Voter ID must be required.
    No registrations accepted within 30 days of election day.
    No early voting.
    Return to all paper ballots.

• WeeWeed says:

Proving that one pays property taxes doesn’t hurt my feelers, either.

• jello333 says:

Well, that leaves me out…. and some of my family members too, incl. my 85-yr-old Mom. Nah, I know you guys are kidding about that part, since it’s obvious that whether or not a person can afford to own (vs rent) a house has nothing to do with the kind of person they are, or whether they’re honest with their vote. I figure this was just you guys’ way of testing me… “I wonder if Jello is lurking here?” ;)

But about this recount… as I’ve said before, I’m 100% for it. And hopefully West closes the gap enough to trigger a FULL recount. Regardless of who the candidates are, I’m ALWAYS for full transparency and accuracy in the way the votes were cast, and the way they’re counted. I actually know very little about either of the candidates involved in this, but I just want the person with the most (legally-cast) votes to win.

• Sharon says:

Oh, jello!! Bless your heart!….we would have an exception written in for you. (And that’s the GOOD KIND of “bless your heart” there….)

I am flattered that you think that at this point on a Saturday afternoon after baking all day, serial college football playing in the background and desperately trying to get an MBOB ready for tomorrow morning that you think I’m capable of “Ah!….Must create a word problem and a test for jello333…..must do that.”

Silly man. :)

• jello333 says:

;)

Speaking of college football, this afternoon my son called and asked if I could drop him and his wife/ my DIL off at the stadium. They’re afraid of the traffic, and even more afraid of the ridiculous parking fees. So I said sure, and dropped them off a few minutes before kickoff. Then a little later, just before halftime, he calls me again… “Can you come pick us up? This is the most boring game ever!”

You see why I say that no matter the age (and they’re both around 30), they never fully cease being “kids”!

• Sharon says:

How funny. The other night our DS called us just about the time we were laughing and hootin’ and hollerin’ over almost nothing–never did find what he was calling about!! He just said, “I’ll talk to you later….” Next day we got in on the conversation where he was explaining to HIS son how he might expect his own parents to detertiorate when they got up in years!!

I just reminded him that we never WERE kidding when we talked about role-reversal in the out years!

• Arkindole says:

@Wee-+1,000,000; Gee, maybe the founding fathers were on to something…then 1850 came along and guess what political party was primarily responsible for the change? (hint: starts with a “D”)

• Chip Bennett says:

And what of those who have no real property on which to pay taxes?

While I agree in principle with the skin-in-the-game concept, I do not believe that anyone should be disenfranchised merely due to lack of sufficient wealth – much less, outright poverty.

• rumpole2 says:

Voter IQ test would be nice too :D

• Knuckledraggingwino says:

BHO = proof that the XV, XVI, XVII, XIX, XIX, XXIV, XXVI amendments should be repealed?

• Wraith says:

Hey, whoa. Early voting is the only way I can vote–I work 120 miles from my polling place, and when I drove over the road it was usually 1200 miles!

Early voting isn’t the problem–’voting often’ is. That and the fact that those in charge of the count are generally in the tank for the Neo-Comms.

• Sharon says:

….lots of good comments here, clarifying the shortsightedness in my original. :( Oh, well…..

• WeeWeed says:

Well, mine, too – but I DO believe that voters should have “skin in the game.” Not be some generational welfare drain on society and get to vote for ME to pay their friggin’ bills.

9. thefirstab says:

It would be interesting to have the tally of “unread” ballots, and if they put West over the percentage needed for a full recount, it should be SHOUTED FROM THE ROOFTOPS. I am ashamed I am from this area, and St. Lucie Co. should be made an example. maybe some other questionable precincts across the country (and def in FL) can take heart, and take action depending on the outcome.

10. Mikado Cat says:

Since voter fraud doesn’t happen, what would be the harm in fully investigating a few precincts and prosecuting anything found?

11. marie says:

Why the heck don’t election officials hire armored trucks, the kind banks use, to gather ballots at the end of the election period and take them to a central place in each area to be counted?

• Chip Bennett says:

I can only speak from my experiences in St. Louis county, but based on those experiences, that suggestion would be prohibitively expensive. We had about 450 polling places in St. Louis county (which doesn’t include St. Louis City, which is a county of its own).

That said, we election supervisors do personally transport the ballots (including the memory cards from the touchscreens, the memory card from the opti-scan that reads the paper ballots, and the paper ballots themselves), locked and sealed prior to leaving the polling place, to a regional collection point, at which we hand off possession and control of the ballots to election board officials.

There is no reason for the process to fail. Everything that involves the voting process and the handling of actual ballots requires a bi-partisan team of poll workers. Number of voters and number of votes cast is reconciled in triplicate, to ensure the numbers match.

IMHO, the best thing that could happen for vote integrity would be:

1) Photo ID required to vote
      2) Elimination of paper ballots

In Missouri, there are no procedural controls to prevent, say, someone from stealing my electric bill, and then showing up at the polls and voting in my place. (Missouri does crack down very hard on vote fraud when discovered – but at that point, the damage would already be done.) Photo ID verification is simply a no-brainer.

As for ballot form: paper ballots actually facilitate vote fraud.

It is far easier to mess with paper ballots than it is to mess with touchscreen-entered votes. Paper ballots can be easily altered, discarded, or added – either at the polling place or elsewhere. Touchscreen-cast ballots cannot. Paper ballots can conveniently be “found”. Touchscreen-cast ballots cannot. Touchscreen machines, once shut down at the polls, cannot be opened again without direct intervention from election board personnel.

Oh, and touchscreen-cast ballots do have a complete paper trail. The machines print out every single vote cast on a paper roll. The paper rolls are signed, sealed, and delivered along with the rest of the ballot materials.

(I’ll be interested to see how things are run here in Hamilton county (Cincinnati), Ohio; and how they compare/contrast to St. Louis county, Missouri.)

• jello333 says:

“Oh, and touchscreen-cast ballots do have a complete paper trail. The machines print out every single vote cast on a paper roll.”

Yeah, that’s good to know. But just to play devil’s advocate, let’s say somebody intent on fraud programmed the machine to, at random intervals, print out something DIFFERENT than what was actually entered on the screen. If that was done, then the paper roll wouldn’t be representative of the votes actually cast. UNLESS…. and here’s my brilliant solution. ;)

Have a slot on the front of the machine where the roll of paper scrolls past as each vote is cast. Of course the slot would be only wide enough to see the current vote. So after you enter your vote on the touch-screen, you can look at your tiny section of the paper roll… and if it didn’t match, you could run screaming to the polling people.

• Chip Bennett says:

I don’t think people really understand just how difficult it would be to do that (and not be found out). The sorts of hacks you may have read about would have to be done at the election board, because by the time the poll worker crews take possession of them, the memory cards are tamper-evident sealed in place.

That said: you actually can see the paper roll being printed, in real time, once the voter final-casts his ballot (at least, on the model of voting machine that we used in STL county).

• Chip Bennett says:

Oh, and I should add: it really boils down to two things:

1) How much you can trust your local election authority
          2) GOTV

If you have a trustworthy election authority, you can trust that the election will be run properly and fairly. If not, you can’t – regardless of the method of voting. For example, St. Louis County runs a tight election ship; St. Louis City does not, which is why St. Louis has a reputation similar to that of the yokels down there in Broward County.

And in the end: just get out and vote. Vote fraud exists, but in reality, it is prohibitively difficult to carry out widespread vote fraud that can sway election results by more than a percent or so, without that fraud being discovered.

• jordan2222 says:

Without absentee paper ballots, how would everyone vote in one single day, especially if early voting were to also be eliminated?

I spent at least four hours at home using my computer to complete my ballot here in Florida.

I have no idea how long it would take for someone to cast a ballot if they were looking at it for the first time while at the polls. It was much too complex for the average voter. You almost needed to be a lawyer to comprehend the damn amendments. I ended up guessing on one or two of them.

I actually think there is a lot of merit for all votes being mailed in.

• canadacan says:

That’s what I want. just think if we lived in China we wouldn’t be able to do this count our blessings.

12. Mikado Cat says:

Neither side wants to eliminate “all” corruption.

13. Mikado Cat says:

MIckey Mouse tells me there is 1:39 left before the vote is to be certified at noon.

14. Mikado Cat says:

WOW, this may have gone south in a NASTY turn. Count was completed but not loaded and sent to state on time, so by law the original unofficial count is certified.

Its 1:40 past the deadline as I write this, so maybe the story will change, but West is claiming they deliberately ran out the clock.