“Roasted Rabbit With Butter, Tarragon And Sweet Potatoes”…

The New America – *sigh* They’re young, they’re broke, and they pay for organic salmon with government subsidies. Got a problem with that?

In the John Waters-esque sector of northwest Baltimore — equal parts kitschy, sketchy, artsy and weird — Gerry Mak and Sarah Magida sauntered through a small ethnic market stocked with Japanese eggplant, mint chutney and fresh turmeric. After gathering ingredients for that evening’s dinner, they walked to the cash register and awaited their moments of truth.

“I have $80 bucks left!” Magida said. “I’m so happy!”

“I have $12,” Mak said with a frown.

The two friends weren’t tabulating the cash in their wallets but what remained of the monthly allotment on their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program debit cards, the official new term for what are still known colloquially as food stamps.

Magida, a 30-year-old art school graduate, had been installing museum exhibits for a living until the recession caused arts funding — and her usual gigs — to dry up. She applied for food stamps last summer, and since then she’s used her $150 in monthly benefits for things like fresh produce, raw honey and fresh-squeezed juices from markets near her house in the neighborhood of Hampden, and soy meat alternatives and gourmet ice cream from a Whole Foods a few miles away.

“I’m eating better than I ever have before,” she told me. “Even with food stamps, it’s not like I’m living large, but it helps.”

Mak, 31, grew up in Westchester, graduated from the University of Chicago and toiled in publishing in New York during his 20s before moving to Baltimore last year with a meager part-time blogging job and prospects for little else. About half of his friends in Baltimore have been getting food stamps since the economy toppled, so he decided to give it a try; to his delight, he qualified for $200 a month.

“I’m sort of a foodie, and I’m not going to do the ‘living off ramen’ thing,” he said, fondly remembering a recent meal he’d prepared of roasted rabbit with butter, tarragon and sweet potatoes. “I used to think that you could only get processed food and government cheese on food stamps, but it’s great that you can get anything.”  (more)

Guess the outreach worked:

About these ads
This entry was posted in A New America, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

147 Responses to “Roasted Rabbit With Butter, Tarragon And Sweet Potatoes”…

1. Sharon says:

The advantage that normal Americans will have when it comes to open warfare is that we will be far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far angrier, fed-up, focused and furious than they can ever dream of being. Theyhavenoidea. And we won’t need a ride to the front lines or somebody to tell us what to do once we get there.

• lovemygirl says:

When SEAL was asked would a few additional people have helped in Benghazi he replied something to the effect that superior weapons, superior training and superior tactics would have won the battle.

2. jordan2222 says:

Off topic and not a complaint but I just placed a reorder for Taste of the Wild dog food and a bag of Natural Balance L.I.T. Limited Ingredient Potato & Duck Dog Treats at Chewy.com for my English Springer Spaniel.

So here I am opening this thread and guess what I see? Yup, the same two items I ordered less than 2 minutes ago flashing back and forth. I almost freaked. It’s reminded me of that old Tom McEwen joke: “How do it know?”

• Menagerie says:

The add on my screen is for Christmastime at the Pool Place. My sister in law works there, and I have been doing some surfing for craft supplies for Christmas decorations. They are getting really creepy with the ads, huh? Can I now expect to see ads featuring the brand and size underwear I buy?

• stellap says:

Since switching to Firefox and implementing Do Not Track Plus, I get NO ads at all.

• sirwin says:

AdBlock for Google Chrome works wonders too. You can configure it to block YouTube ads as well.

• Bijou says:

WOW! Thanks, stellap!
          Just installed it and that mini-tutorial they show you was really creepy!
          Just yesterday, I had some ads that were custom targeted at ME, and I’m hopeful this stops all that ‘tracking’. Thanks, again.

3. Mikado Cat says:

I have to assume none of you shop in stores with EBT clientele. I do, and rabbit and sweet potatoes do not bother me, a basket full of soda and junk food does.

The world has changed and you might as well get over the angst. There is little chance the government is ever going to force anybody to work by limiting benefits. If you dream of a utopia where welfare mothers are deprived in any way for never finding any work or attempting it, you are dreaming. Move on to the next windmill.

Taking an adversarial position on a topic you can’t win, but that guarantees political support of the effected segment going to the opposition is dumb.

• I think you miss the point. Value for monetary expenditure. EBT is FEDERAL taxpayer money providing food for “needy” people, via reimbursement to the states, or at least that is supposed to be the standard reasoning given to those who pay income taxes to legitimize the confiscation of wealth.

If the person paying the taxes cannot, by their own fiscal prudence/restrictions, eat steak and caviar, nor indulge in niceities and what they would define as extravagances, because they cannot afford it – then how is it even remotely defensible for you to advocate for that which the taxpayer cannot afford being given freely to someone else who does not contribute to the sufficiency of the base of revenue from which the payments are made.?

When the lifestyle of the “supported” exceeds the lifestyle of those providing the “support” something is horribly wrong. You disagree?

Please advise.

• lovemygirl says:

I do think restrictions should apply to any assistance. People that need help should get it through private charity, churches, family and friends and even our government. You are right that handing them money from the people should have strings attached.
        Here in Chi-Town they opened new section 8 housing after tearing down ratholes like Cabrini Green. A reporter covering it was amazed. Beautiful townhomes with GE Profile appliances. After the interview with a very happy recipient of the housing he said “How do I get one”? He was criticised for being unsympatheic to her plight but the place was far nicer than he could afford.

• ctdar says:

I would like to see at store registers a program that flags junk food, alcohol, cigarettes…”extras” when an ebt/snap card is used. Like when one buys alcohol, cigarettes or cold medicines these days, machine shuts down for mgmnt approval.

• JAS says:

“…..he qualified for $200 a month…….” $50 a week for groceries will not get you “steak and caviar”, not even close…. When was the last time you bought groceries?

J.

• stellap says:

I presume it was supplementary to what he was already spending on food. He wasn’t starving when he was approved for SNAP, right? If it increased his food budget to $300 or $400 a month, that’s a decent food budget for one person.

• patricia says:

I am a single mother of 3. I work full time and when I applied for assistance several years ago they refused to count my car payment as an expense. They told me it was a “luxury” even though I needed it to get back and forth to work, take my kids to daycare, pick them up at school if they were sick, etc. and there was no bus line that came anywhere near my house. Needless to say I didn’t qualify for any assistance. I feed my family of 4 on less than $400/month.

• Sha says:

patricia: My husband has had surgery four time’s in the last couple of years so he has been out of work with no pay and lot’s of medical bill’s still coming in that need to be paid . He’s out with the fourth now until after the first of the year . I had to learn to get creative and find ways to save money and stretch what I have . I started couponing here and there thinking I could save a few bucks . I educated my self on it and got pretty good at it. I pay a dollar for name brand items now that I use to pay 3 or 4 for before. Try it maybe it will help you like it’s helped me. It’s works …. If you only save 20 dollars that’s 20 to go on something else.

• apachetears says:

I know a Veteran with service connected disabilities who cannot get food stamps because his VA disability makes him too much money to qualify for food stamps/SNAP.

• Arkindole says:

My wife works for a non-profit Christian assistance program in PBC for the poor–food first from their pantry, assistance for utility payments, job interview training and clothes next. It’s not that easy to qualify for SNAP, and the people she sees are way beyond “bottom of the foodchain”. That being said, there are ways people are scamming the system–her clients included. Educational loans are currently vogue as way to get fed money.

Remember, it is their stated goal to get everyone on .gov handouts, one way or another. Dependency is their objective.

• stellap says:

I think it depends upon your state. In Michigan, they have tightened the restrictions – students living at school used to be able to get them even though their parents could afford to support them – not now. I heard a guy from Michigan who went back to graduate school – and he owned a home – and qualified for SNAP. He told stories about people he knew who scammed the system – the woman living with a boyfriend qualified for SNAP using only her income, for example.

• Ugh says:

If you are a student in Arizona you must work 20 hours a week to qualify for food stamps. Then depending on how much you make you might not receive the full 200 per month. And yes many people “sell” their food stamps.

• Mikado Cat says:

The only time I’ve eaten rabbit is because it was cheap, so I am not automatically assuming poor value.

I worked in a tiny bump above minimum wage industry for close to two decades. Skilled labor, but entry level requiring only a month or two of vocational type training to start, but demanding, hot, pushing hard for 8 hours, or often more after clocking out to produce above minimum wage so you aren’t fired. Welfare would send us people all the time, they would work the minimum to keep benefits and never come back. Some of the people that worked there knew the welfare people, or had kids in the same school, and be mad as hell that they were working to send them money.

My personal choice would be welfare available to all without much time or paperwork, but supplying only the most basic of housing and food with zero perks. Dormitories, soup kitchens, donated clothing, all benefits to kids directly to them so parents can’t skim. It would be welfare that nobody would want to stay on.

Political reality is that the voting blocks that would fight such a move, would not only win, but they will drag under anybody that associated themselves with such a position. People dependent on a check are single issue voters. The whole of the left would spin it with great success as an attack on the poor by the rich. The worst is the average voter worried about losing their job. Add to that all of the people whose job is to service the welfare industry, landlords etc.

Conservatives need to focus on some issues where they can win. Cutting welfare can be an end result, but it has to be framed inside a winnable position.

*** I am only awake because my head is too stuffy to sleep, so take it all with a grain of salt.

• Josh says:

I worked in a store-front type tax prep service for at least three years (yes, you all know the name of the place). I chose to work in a lower income area. It was quite an eye-opener. Many of the people who went in were NOT stupid. They knew exactly how much they had to earn in order to get the highest Earned Income Credit (EIC) The name of the credit is a joke – EARNED income. Anyway…
          They also knew how many children on their tax return would net them the most money. They would stand outside the door and *loan* their children to friends or relatives so that the friends or relatives could get the best *refund* (another funny word) possible. We, as tax preparers, were not allowed to ask even the most obvious of questions.
          Many of the customers as well as their children wore gold, real gold that is, jewelry.
          They would pay what I though an exorbitant fee to get THEIR money sooner than later.
          One girl’s refund was $500 which she would have gotten in 7-10 days. She paid $250 to get HER money (which because of the fee was now $250) in 5 days.
          These people were all colors, shapes & sizes. Ignorance knows no color, shape or size.

I could go on but Mark Levin (my leader) is on the radio now.
          Priorities, people…

• yankeeintx says:

If it is a company rule that you are not required to ask questions, then they are telling you to break the law. Since you sign the bottom of the tax forms as the preparer, you are signing under the penalty of perjury. You must do due diligence in gathering information. Companies like H&R Block are part of the problem. They are helping these people break the law and reaping the benefits themselves. While it is fine to take advantage of every loophole that exists (legally, maybe not morally or ethically), it is not okay to aid and abet tax fraud.

• Josh says:

Of course you are correct. It took three years before all that you have said really kicked me in the brain.

• That is incorrect. Look up the legal framework for “adverse impact” and apply it to your thought processes on applying the law.

It is *most* illegal to apply laws that create “adverse impact”. Meaning if the enforcement of the law creates adverse impact then the law being enforced itself is illegal. This framework is now upheld in all aspects of lawful application – the argument has reached the supreme court several times.

99.0% of people who speak of “illegal” / “legal” arguments do not comprehend this judicial benchmark of “adverse impact”.

Hence, it is currently a violation of law to require a person be legally eligible to work in the United states.

It is a violation of law to be lawful. (let that sink in).

• yankeeintx says:

Has anyone sued the IRS for “adverse impact”?

While it might be illegal to be lawful, I would not (even at the suggestion of my employer) sign my name under the penalty of prejury on IRS forms knowing that they are fraudulent.

• It is illegal to challenge filing based on protected categories and adverse impact. If the only IRS filings you challenge belong to anyone who falls into one of the 26 protected federal categories and the statistical impact from your challenge impacts one sub-sect, then yes, your challenge to their IRS filing is illegal – you can be sued – and you would lose in court for refusing to assist in the diligent commission of fraud.

Yes – If that is your position – you indeed can be jailed for your refusal to sign.

• yankeeintx says:

You’ve got mail.

• Menagerie says:

This is a pretty basic windmill. As Sharon said above, the working class people are damned fed up. Sooner or later, those of us who work and eat beans are just going to stop. I can’t remember how many people I have heard declare that they would not work overtime, retire early, or in some other way limit their income and tax rate since Obama’s re-election.

• Knuckledraggingwino says:

If it is that bad then it is time to do far more than deprive the welfare moms.

• Whatever would we do without Mikado Kat to instruct us on the foolishness of our thinking?

• Not Engaged says:

Big plus one, Mikado Cat. The United States has changed and responsibility is out of style. People like us have been marginalized and ridiculed. My take is I can either bang my head against the wall and cause daily headaches or go semi-John Galt and retain my sanity.

• apachetears says:

Not Engaged: Do as I do just sit down with a beer or beverage of your choice, chips or nachos and await impending doom.
        Watch these idiots for when that hard, cold dose of abject reality comes up and bites them on the ass, the look on liberals faces will be priceless.
        Small comfort I know but we must take our pleasures where we can.

4. jordan2222 says:

I have heard all kinds of tales about food stamp abuse and maybe it happens in other areas but I do not think that is the case in Florida.

One: It is not easy to get them in spite of the negative publicity that says otherwise.

Two: If you do qualify, you have to document your entire financial picture at least once a year.

Three: There are restrictions on what can be purchased with the cards, and most stores strictly enforce that. For example. hot fried chicken does not qualify but the same fried chicken does if it is sold chilled. Hot prepared meals are a no no but if you take the meal home cold and heat/cook it, you are fine.

All that aside, the last thing we would want to see are restrictions on what food can be purchased. Such regulations are the very thing most of us deplore. Who decides what is healthy to eat and what is not?

If a person gets $100 in benefits each month, then the person should be allowed to buy whatever food he/she like whether it’s grits and fatback or steak and double baked potatoes.

I suspect a lot of folks qualify but are too embarrassed to apply and I also believe others do not know how to get the benefits. Many of the homeless fit into that category.

My areas is blessed with quite a few food pantries..
    some are tightly controlled with rationed food and only be used once a week while others, like those operated by churches, do things differently. I often take canned and packaged goods to the town pantry nearest me, but damn, are they picky so I have sometimes just opened up my rear door in my Jeep and let people take whatever they want.

I guess I would have to personally know of flagrant abuse on a wide scale to not support feeding those who are truly poor and/or cannot find work to support their families. Most of the stories I read are filled with BS. No Publix store, for example, would ever allow you to get wine with a card.

I cannot speak for the small mom and pop grocery stores. but allowing someone to get smokes is a serious offense for both participants. Funny how all of the abuse stories occur somewhere else out of Florida.

• Sharon says:

“….lot of folks qualify but are too embarrassed to apply….” Well, I’m sure someone will come along to help them with that.

Last month I went in to Walgreen’s for my flu shot. Presented the old Medicare Card and the Part B or whatever, and–”here ya go, Ma’am, free shot.” I took a moment to point out to the nice pharmacist that it wasn’t actually free, since it was being paid for by taxpayers, including himself. He just looked a bit mystified and then sort of grinned and said, “Yeah, that’s right, I guess.” And THEN HE SAYS: “If you haven’t had the shingles vaccination yet, I’d suggest you get it. It’s a really expensive shot and since your insurance would cover it, do you want that as well?” Uhh….no thank you. That kind of logic gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Oh, well. Move over, Greece. Here we come.

• Perhaps the simplist solution would work best. Those items that are NOT taxable are Foodstamp-able. Those items that ARE taxable are NOT Foodstamp-able.

This would essentially limit the use of EBT or SNAP purchases to food commodities, essentials, commonly not taxed in most areas/states.

The basic common sense principle should apply. People should not be able to use taxpayer funding for purchases of things they would not otherwise be able to afford on their own at the basic threshold of taxable income.

• Mikado Cat says:

Varies by state, I forget which was in the news recently because they allow purchase of smokes and adult magazines, but others are more strict than what you suggest.

• jordan2222 says:

@SD

Actually, I think the taxable vs non taxable criteria is what we have in Florida. Hot food is always taxable, for example.

I have no idea how benefits work in other states but I think our system works the way it should. I have helped others in dire need get benefits but it is NOT easy, nor is it easy.

Florida does not publish the actual “formula” they use in determining qualifications and they do NOT even tell people that medical expenses can help to make them eligible and also add to the amount received.

I have asked for that “formula” by phone, email and regular mail numerous times and have yet a reply yet.

A friend who previously worked for them told me they keep that information from the public, making it a secret.

It is a method that Florida uses to deny or minimize benefits.

Medicaid, which usually comes with food stamps, is a joke here. It is not uncommon to see folks with a share of cost fixed at $1000 or more. That means a person would have to incur at least that amount EACH MONTH in order to have coverage. It is why participating doctors are overbooked at the beginning of each month and that policy adds to corruption. If a person is a couple hundred dollars short of reaching the share of cost on the 24th, for example, they will then make appointments for unnecessary treatment to get to the threshold.

• yankeeintx says:

I believe that in some states you can use SNAP at fast food restaurants. The logic is that homeless and people living in hotels, don’t have a way to prepare foods.

It is my experience that no welfare assistant program in any state is not affected by massive fraud. Even WIC that list specific items and sizes is abused. Women were getting baby formula, keeping one can and watering it down, and then returning the other cans to another store. They would claim they bought the wrong kind and didn’t have a reciept. They could then use the cash refund for what ever they wanted. Now, they can sell it to drug dealers because formula is very popular for cutting cocaine. If you ever want a lesson on how to cheat the system to obtain as much free stuff as you can, just go and sit in Social Services office and people will be happy to educate you, they are proud of it.

What is really sad is that there are people that are truly in need, and are to proud to ask for help. There are also people who should be receiving more help, and because of all the fraud and abuse, there just isn’t anything left for them.

5. jordan2222 says:

test
    ————–
    If you were testing because of the delay on a previous comment showing up–it got caught in the spam filter. I don’t know why. There was nothing in it that should have been a problem. –Admin

• jordan2222 says:

Thanks and yes, that is what happened and is one good reason to copy and paste a lengthy post before posting it.

I also wondered if the ad might have had something to do with it. It was just too damn eerie to see my exact order here at the TH.

Today’s ad is a static one for Brighthouse.

6. lovemygirl says:

“At first, I thought, ‘Why should I be on food stamps?’” said Magida, digging into her dinner. “Here I am, this educated person who went to ART SCHOOL, and there are a lot of people who need them more. But then I realized, I need them, too.”

What kind of career were you expecting with an Art School degree?

7. Sha says:

You would be suprised to here about how many people that sell them around my area.They let people get there card for cash. There are people that have several people in the house getting food stamps around here to. They eat better than I do and I work every day.

8. Angel says:

I really think that many of us don’t know what real hunger is anymore. So many in other countries would be glad to get the beans and rice that many turn their heads at. I mean, if one is hungry, they are hungry and any nourishment will do. And a real hunger will motivate one to get up and do something about it. My two cents.

• aliashubbatch says:

Two cents well invested. :)

• libtardh8r says:

When the number one health problem of the poor is obesity, there is no problem with hunger in your country. When I am paying for your food, and I am also going to pay for the health care costs incurred by your poor food choices, then I have the right, IMHO, to demand you buy wholesome food with my tax dollars. Buy all the Doritos, Coke and bacon you want with your own money, but I think food stamps should only be able to buy healthy, inexpensive food.

It is Coca-Cola, McDonalds and Nintendo that will bankrupt this country by encouraging us to be continuously overfed and underactive.

• aliashubbatch says:

No, it’s the number of people making stupid decisions that will bankrupt us, not companies whom you have the choice to buy their products from. (Translation: Don’t talk shit about Nintendo!)

• CCG says:

Not food stamps, but free lunch programs at schools upset me when I worked in a school cafeteria. Students would pay (or not pay) with their free or reduced card and then purchase ice cream, chips, soda etc. with cash. If they can afford the junk, then they should be able to afford the “free” lunch…

• ctdar says:

Better leave bacon out of this discussion :lol:

• michellc says:

Coca-Cola, McDonalds and Nintendo is not putting a gun to anyone’s head forcing them to buy their product.
        Personal responsibility should apply. People are fat and lazy in this country at their own choice and they really don’t know what being poor is anymore.
        Ask any of us old timers, coca-cola was around when we were kids, but sodas were a treat not a staple and you always saved your bottles so you could turn them in for a free soda. It’s kind of amazing what poor people did without in the old days that poor people today think are a staple.

• Sharon says:

You’re not kidding, I’m sure–so I guess I’m just sorry about how much power you have given Coca-Cola, McDonalds and Nintendo. To the extent that I’m willing to accept responsibility for what goes on in my life, it’s exactly that extent to which I have power over my own life. Part of the reason I won’t go around blaming corporations when things go wrong in my life as a result of my choices is because I’m sure not going to give them the credit when things go right because of my choices. Can’t have it both ways.

• jordan2222 says:

libtardh8r

Would you also restrict how folks spend their social security checks?

• Sha says:

Angel : Believe me I know what hunger is…… My mom was to sorry to get off her butt and work because she could get a check and food stamp’s. We would run out of food early in the month because she didn’t know how to shop and stretch what she was given. The only meal I got sometimes was at school. Beans and rice where a two or three day meal until the pot was empty. At the end of the month was the worse…. sometimes nothing to eat if school was out .On the bright side me and my brother both are very proud people who work hard and help others .My kids have never skipped a meal , it might not be steak but it’s food.

• stellap says:

I love beans and rice – properly flavored, it’s delicious!

• aliashubbatch says:

What do you prefer in your rice? I like butter or A1 steak sauce (don’t knock it till you try it.)

• Sha says:

stellap : I use to hate beans when I was young because we ate them so much. Now that I have gotten older I love them again , Of course with home made biscuit’s.

• stellap says:

I often think of some of the “strange” things my mother liked (she was raised on a farm) – molasses on bread and butter, elbow macaroni cooked with stewed tomatoes topped with butter, radish sandwiches with butter, cooked cabbage with vinegar salt and pepper. It’s like anything else – the seasoning makes all the difference!

• Sha says:

stellap : Sometimes the best seasoning is the love put into it. I cook Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner for about 25 people every year. The look on there faces melts my heart. I get alot more out of it than they do….

• michellc says:

People always wonder why before a storm old people run out and buy milk and bread, it’s because that’s what many of them grew up on and many still love to eat milk and bread.
            My mother always ate if for snacks except with her it was cornbread and milk.

On beans though, we always had beans at least once a week, then the next day we had bean patties. When my oldest brother left home he said he would never eat beans again. A few months later he called mom and said he was coming home for the weekend and asked her if she would make him some beans and ham hocks, cornbread and fried taters.
            I’ve never gotten tired of pinto beans and cornbread myself and I still have them at least a couple of times a month and even more often than that in the winter. I always loved bean patties as well, but I don’t make them much because I’m the only one who likes them and my husband thinks it’s a waste of leftover beans which are always better the next day according to him.
            Mom also would make a huge batch of mashed potatoes and the next night we’d have potato cakes out of the leftover mashed potatoes. I wasn’t the biggest fan of mashed potatoes when I was a kid, but I’d always eat them and glad when we had them because I knew the next night we’d have potato cakes and I loved potato cakes.
            Nothing was ever wasted back then, leftovers always turned into a totally different meal the next day and anything not eaten was given to the dogs or the pigs. Good thing we didn’t have picky vets back then or they would of stroked out about all the people food the dogs got.lol

• stellap says:

Potatoes are my favorite food, in all their various incarnations; potato cakes are delicious! Bread and milk, or graham crackers and milk, were an occasional bedtime treat. I had bread and milk about a week ago.

• Sha says:

michellc: All the teenager’s that hang around my house wipe out the left overs lol ! We don’t waste any food. I think that’s why besides my nephew’s and my son’s I have gained a few extra kids ….lol !

• cajunkelly says:

Sha,

One of my sons’ friends used to call, specifically to ask me to make “tomato gravy and biscuits” for him. Didn’t matter what time it was….I’d make ‘em, and make sure I made extras for buddies who’d always show up with him.

LOL sometimes I think I was the neighborhood home cookin station.

With three sons, the house always had a few extra boys around, and damn can they eat!

My sons were the type that if invited to sleep over at a friend’s house would say, nope, you come spend the night at my house. I never left my bedroom without a robe on as there was always, on the weekends or in summer, one or two lumpy sleeping bags on the floor in the den.

(chuckle) I talked my youngest into spending the night at his same aged cousin’s house when he was about six…at dark thirty he called and wanted to come home. On my way to pick him up my sister called and said he’d sneaked off into another room to call me and told her he wouldn’t stay because “it’s too far to walk home”. I can count the times on one hand that my boys even spent the night at their grandparents.

We encouraged it, unendingly, but ….nope, wasn’t happening.

Guess they truly *were* “home boys”.

• Sha says:

cajunkelly: Girl , I know eating machines. My boy’s never like to stay away from home. My oldiest is married now. His best friend would have moved in if I let him lol ! He has always had a place at my table even now. My youngiest has friends that beg to come over. They know there will always be a hot meal and something to do. I keep four wheeler’s ,games , go cart’s, pool and anything I can to keep them out of trouble. They even camp in the back yard … They all know if you get out of line you get a butt cut just like my kids if your parents have a problem with that and you can’t go by my rules stay home.

• Sha says:

cajunkelly : Of Course I left out the part …( that’s what I tell the new ones that pop in ) I haven’t had to cut any butt’s yet lol !!! I think the regular’s know all there parents told me to get them… he… he…

• michellc says:

Been there done that. My house was always the hang out because there was always fresh cookies to snack on as well as home cooked meals. My kid’s friends couldn’t believe cookies didn’t come out of a package. I’ve amazed many of girls and boys when I showed them how to bake a batch of cookies.
                I don’t think many parents understand kid’s crave that sitting down at the table and eating a home cooked meal.
                Talking about old times though brings back happy memories that I never thought about at the time, like the slop bucket for the pigs, I hated the slop bucket and now talking about the slop bucket makes me laugh. Such as the time my brother made me mad about something and I dumped the slop bucket over his head. I got a spanking and had to clean up the mess but it was so worth it seeing him covered in slop.

Now that I don’t have kids running in and out though on a daily basis, I still waste nothing. Don’t tell my vet but my dogs still get scraps and there’s not much that can’t be fed to either the chickens, goats, ducks, etc.

• aliashubbatch says:

On milk and bread, I toast my bread and dip it into the milk. It tastes like rice crispies! :D

9. Mikado Cat says:

Maybe a good first step would be to include everyone on the dole in unemployment figures.

Major problem is that the left has destroyed the entry level job market, and any serious welfare reform would make it obvious that there are no jobs without both training and strong will to work. I think the state used to subsidize the welfare people they sent us, around 1//3 of minimum wage, but it wasn’t enough to compensate for lower production and leaving.

10. 22tula says:

Lesson of the Plucked Chicken – Ravi Zacharias

Side note/dish for the bacon lovers
    Marco’s Mother’s Pasta

11. creepytwins says:

I ate a lot of unhealthy garbage when I was in my twenties even though I ALWAYS worked full time (and then some). I simply didn’t make enough money to eat gourmet meals. Even today we carefully manage our food budget because our mortgage, child care costs and other expenses are so high. I say let them eat ramen.

• Mikado Cat says:

Ramen here last two days, son and I have head colds, so Chicken ramen with a couple packets of hot sauce added.

I don’t think many younger people even understand the concept of eating cheaply. Its about buying in bulk basics and planning ahead. You trade investment and prep time for packaging and convenience.

OTOH we spend serious coin on premium food. Not all the time, and almost never at anyplace “fancy”, but $100 for the three of us, none who drink, isn’t rare.

12. michellc says:

I say we do away with food stamps all together. If our country wants to take our money to feed the poor, then let’s do it like Indians do with commodities. I pay for it but it doesn’t bother me as much because they must show up and haul their own food once a month. They get canned fruits and veggies, canned and powdered milk, canned meat, dry beans, rice and pasta, instant potatoes, non-sugar cereal, flour and cornmeal, cheese, canned juices, raisins, prunes and I’ve been told they now get frozen GB and chicken and fresh potatoes and onions. It’s based on your income and the amounts of food you get is based on your household size. People could still sell the food but it would be a little harder than it is to stand outside a store and offer the use of their card for cash. Of course the government will overpay someone to make the food but like everything with government involved there is tons of waste, but I’d still be more for that than a card.
    If you get a welfare check, then you should have to provide receipts for what you spent the money on.

As for restrictions and some states being more strict than others, it’s often how well each county office does their job and also there are plenty of people who know how to work the system.
    Usually the only verification they have to have for food stamps is a check stub or income tax return and a bank statement and a utility bill proving their address. If they don’t have income then a signed affidavit by non-family members that they’re unemployed.

• John Galt says:

“If our country wants to take our money to feed the poor, then let’s do it like Indians do with commodities.”

+1 beans, rice, flour and potatoes should be enough for survival. Maybe a multivitamin. If they want luxuries like fruit, vegetables, coffee, etc. then they need to work. Pick up trash, remove graffiti, shovel snow, etc.

• michellc says:

I’d even give them the canned fruit and veggies, coffee, tea and soda, nope they should work for that.
        That’s why I kind of like the commodities idea, I used to take an elderly lady to get her commodities and that’s a lot of work carrying out those huge bags of flour and boxes of food. She’d always pay me though by making me loaves of bread. She made some of the best bread I’ve ever eaten. She gave me the recipe but I could never make mine taste like hers. She was a sweet little lady and she enjoyed making bread for others, so I think the love she put in it was why it tasted so good. I never begrudged her the commodities because she worked hard her entire life and only had a very small SS check to exist on and she worked until she was 80. She also didn’t get the commodities monthly because she said they would last her 3 months and she didn’t want to take more than she needed and possibly keep someone else from getting what they needed.

13. aliashubbatch says:

Never had rabbit before. What’s it like?

• cajunkelly says:

LOL Tough, if ya don’t know how to prepare it…..pressure cooker is prepared.

Tastes like squirrel…with the same cooking requirements.

Both are normally prepared with brown gravy in the South.

• cajunkelly says:

*required, not prepared

• cajunkelly says:

On another note, we ate tons of rabbit when I was young…then something happened that made them no longer fit to eat….something called “woolies in their neck”….some sort of parasite…I was way to young to understand.

• michellc says:

Around here it’s a certain time of year when you can’t eat wild rabbit as they have worms. I’d have to ask the hunters in my life but I think they’re safe after the second frost. So maybe that’s why they’re not safe there it never gets cold enough to kill off the worms? I’d trade my cold winters though. Some people say the same about squirrels, yet squirrel season here is almost year round, just a few months when you can’t hunt squirrel.

I was watching a trapping show the other night and they ate a lynx, I never would have thought about eating a cat.
            I guess though if I had to survive totally off the land, I’d eat a lot of things.

• John Denney says:

One of my survival handbooks, written by an Aussie, states that ANY mammal is edible, even though you might not like the idea.

• rajabear1 says:

My son got an AZ jack rabbit in my freezer right now. Kinda creepy cuz it looks like a skinned small dog, that thing is HUGE…
            I have researched different ways to cook it because his uncles said he was supposed to get cottontail, not jack, and that it would be horrible.
            Seems as though the consensus is to do pressure cooker or low an slow in a stew. Needles to say, the uncles have me a bit nervous as to what it will taste like. Hopefully the boy will do a great job cooking the jack rabbit!

• stellap says:

You can buy rabbit that is raised commercially. We used to have a guy here whose parents raised them, and we could buy them directly from his family. I always thought it was like dark meat chicken. Never et a squirrel!

• aliashubbatch says:

“Never et a squirrel!”

Why not? I’ve had frogs legs before, granted they were fried, like most good things in life. :)

• stellap says:

I have lots of squirrels in my neighborhood, and I see what they eat (dog poop for one). I don’t eat rodents. I would have to be really hungry. Frog legs are good!

• michellc says:

I never liked squirrel, we had it a lot when I was a kid and I was vegetarian on those nights.
        I cooked my husband and my daughter’s fiance some one day when he brought over a bunch he had killed. They inhaled them.

How about frog legs, have you ever ate them? The first time I ever cooked them, I didn’t know about cutting that nerve thing and I had flour and frog legs all over my kitchen when those things started moving in my hand.
        My husband and boys have always loved going frog gigging, so I eventually learned to cook them without having to worry about jumping legs.

• cajunkelly says:

YUMMY frog legs! Restaurants here have all you can eat frog leg nights.

(chuckle) gotta cut those tendons to prevent them jumpin out of the fying pan

• cajunkelly says:

and yep, done my share of giggin’. Scary stuff though, pitch black night, and spider eyes look a lot like frog eyes in spotlights. Gotta measure the distance between their eyes.

• michellc says:

I call it a nerve thing. lol I discovered it kind of by accident and was glad when I did. Not fun having your food jump out of your hand.
              I don’t do the frog gigging. I went once with my husband and that was it. Crossing those creeks in the dark, snakes and spider webs in the trees. My husband gigged a frog right out of a snake’s mouth saying that’s my frog then the snake came after him and he gigged the snake. I told him I was going home, wasn’t doing that ever again. I didn’t try to gig one though.
              My boys have always loved it as well and they really loved taking their city friends out to do it. I’ve actually had to cook frog legs at 2 or 3 in the morning many times because kids wanted to eat their legs right then.lol

• jordan2222 says:

My father left the heads on when cooking fried squirrel. Their brains are considered a delicacy. You literally suck them out. Even my sister loved the brains but denies it today.

• aliashubbatch says:

:shock: …wow…

• michellc says:

Thank goodness they always cut their heads off and cut them into pieces. I don’t like looking at the head of anything that is on the table.
          That’s like fish cooked with their heads on, I could never eat them with them looking at me. I want my fileted and no longer resembling a fish.

• ctdar says:

:shock: :shock:

• John Denney says:

Rabbit and squirrel are very lean, so if you need more fat in your diet, I’m pretty sure brains contain a lot of fat, which is why they’re so tasty. :-)

• stellap says:

My dad used to cook calf brains and scrambled eggs when I was a kid. I liked it until I knew what it was! His grandpa and uncle were German “sausage makers”, and they ate everything. Another thing we used to eat is head cheese. It’s not bad.

• John Denney says:

Delicately flavored white meat. Cut it up like you would a chicken, pepper it, brown it in bacon fat, add a cup of water and a bay leaf and simmer until tender, probably 20 to 45 minutes depending on whether it was a tender young one or an old tough one. You could also add onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, and enough water to cover it. When it’s done, thicken it with flour and you have a nice rabbit stew.

• A lot like possum, but stringier.

14. cajunkelly says:

Anyone else notice this story is dated March 2010? Makes me wonder how much worse it is now.

• Ms.Tee says:

Yup! I actually remember reading this article when it was published! I forwarded to a couple of friends and family members. Ms. Tee warned people on the ground, long ago! Of course, few listened….

15. ytz4mee says:

The value of all benefits from various programs conferred on those who can game the system in California is estimated to be in excess of $65,000 per year.

Uncle Sam is now Uncle Sugar.

16. brocahontas says:

This reminded me of “…and grilled free-range rabbit
    with herbed french fries.” from American Psycho

17. cajunkelly says:

I think I’ve told the story here about the jackass I encountered at my local grocery. He offered to buy my groceries (met me outside before I went in) with his food card and I’d pay him back at 50%.

I stormed into the store and told the manager (known him since he was a bag boy there). He just shrugged. I kick myself every time I recall this….*I* should have called the cops myself.

18. cajunkelly says:

and regarding rabbit….down here in the cypress knees we make sauce picante, smothered, and jambalay with rabbit and/or squirrel.

Squirrel dumplins are food for the Gods!

Old memory just rolled back….Mom used to make “smother fried chicken”, which means you fry it, then make gravy, pour it over, then do a long, slow simmer.

19. cajunkelly says:

tryin to remember another rabbit “gumbo type” recipe…the cajun purists say that if it’s got corn in it, it’s not gumbo….it’s….and I can’t remember the name of it…

Gracie! need your help here!

20. GracieD says:

I can walk a dozen or so steps out my back door and I’m in the woods with squirrels and rabbits aplenty! 😄

21. cajunkelly says:

(chuckle) Gracie I could step out my back door right now and “tag out” on squirrels….I’ve counted up to 20 in my back yard at one time.

They’re all really busy right now, building nests in these huge oaks, and stashing nuts in knot holes in other trees…for winter. I just filled the bird feeders and they’re going in to hyper mode right now.

racka frackin thieves they are

Oh, and ya always cook squirrel with the heads on around here. My boys once went out into the woods behind the house and killed a “mess” of squirrels…came back and skinned ‘em and brought ‘em in to me to cook….

brats took the time to cut around the eyes before skinning and brought ‘em to me with the eyelashes still on ‘em…..(shakin my head and laughing)…they thought that would freak Mom out.

• John Denney says:

Aw, how sweet! You’re kids giving you the “hairy eyeball” (slang when I was a teen for a girl seductively batting her eyelashes at a guy)

22. Sha says:

GracieD & cajunkelly: I was born in the city and raised there for a while, but I didn’t start living until I moved to the country. I love a garden , I love the sounds early in the morning . I love everything about it.

23. What is Mexico’s welfare systema like? Since we are headed in that direction, we need to start looking now for the answers to these social problems.

24. akathesob says:

I am so not going to type what I am thinking right about now out of a abundance of respect for the TreeHouse!

25. jordan2222 says:

The idea originally was to feed the needy with our surplus food. I will not attempt to explain how that worked in 1939 but reading a history of the FS program is enlightening.

26. Mikado Cat says:

Talking to a guy from Norway he says they have great benefits, but no conclaves of the poor, you live in the same apartment building as everybody who works and knows that you don’t. We create havens where living on the dole is accepted and tips on cheating for as much as possible are traded among neighbors like a good recipe.

Our system has all of these circles that make the problem worse. Regulations that encourage if not require cheating, penalties for working, its just crazy to me unless the idea is to force people into the system and keep them there.

Schools that don’t teach.
    Prisons that don’t reform, but enhance gang membership.
    Welfare that entraps, and becomes generational.

27. Lawabidingcitizen says:

WTH!!! My husband works 70hrs a week and we eat rice, bean and chicken… sometimes we go wild and have asparagus…