Earlier in the year we saw Jesse Jackson in Florida demanding school disciplinary punishments be levied based on race via racial quotas.   Now the state board steps in and applies the same insufferable stupidity to acadamic expectations.

Their methodology is: Blacks are the least intelligent therefore blacks should have lower goals and expectations.    Asians are the most intelligent therefore they should have a higher bar of achievement….

Typical Liberal Mindset – It is all based on race.   The Benjamin Crumps, and Natalie Jacksons of the world should own this consequence.   After all, it is their mindset that removes responsibility for self and instead places the blame on others.   Just like this new education plan.

White Boy Can’t Jump – Black Boy Can’t Read.  So lets lower the basketball hoop height on the white side, and lower the reading level on the black side.  Nice huh?…. see how stupid that is.

Palm Beach, Fla. (CBS TAMPA) – The Florida State Board of Education passed a plan that sets goals for students in math and reading based upon their race.

On Tuesday, the board passed a revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanics and 74 percent of black students to be reading at or above grade level. For math, the goals are 92 percent of Asian kids to be proficient, whites at 86 percent, Hispanics at 80 percent and blacks at 74 percent. It also measures by other groupings, such as poverty and disabilities, reported the Palm Beach Post.

The plan has infuriated many community activists in Palm Beach County and across the state.

“To expect less from one demographic and more from another is just a little off-base,” Juan Lopez, magnet coordinator at John F. Kennedy Middle School in Riviera Beach, told the Palm Beach Post.

JFK Middle has a black student population of about 88 percent.  (read more)

About these ads
This entry was posted in Dem Hypocrisy, Racism, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Staggeringly Stupid – Florida Passes Plan For Racially-Based Academic Goals, Asian Students Expected To Be Top Performers, Blacks Last…

1. Sharon says:

Where’s Al Sharpton? That’s about as racist as anything I’ve seen recently.

2. Coast says:

I have a dream…that someday Jesse Jackson will be recognized by ALL PEOPLE as to the true content of his character, rather than the color of his skin.

3. arkansasmimi says:

I am really confused. So AA dont want to be treated diff because of race, yet they DO want to be held at a lower academic level. Are they also going to try to get the Colleges to change their standards so that theses kids can enter… and then I guess because of Affirmative Action, they can get the most awesome jobs they want because of race. To me this is just promoting racical issues, not helping.

• howie says:

What else can they do? They have to school them. They suck at school and don’t want to do well because it would be too white. This is a reaction to the reaction of the stupid school rating policy. Nobody will hire them anyway. This is why one will soon need a degree to flip burgers. The job description is the last line of defense for employers.

• jello333 says:

Bush’s “No Child Left Behind”, or the equivalent under Obama (I don’t recall the name) are really bad in most respects. It’s nice to try to help kids perform to the best of their ability, but neither of those are the answer.

• Agreed. (Race To The Top is Obama’s program).

• thefirstab says:

Well, isn’t that an appropriate name?! *sarc* and *snort*
            I was hanging my head in disgust when I saw this from PB Post – my brothers went to the school mentioned in the article, when it was Suncoast HS. I was pretty young, but do remember a mixed student body, decent school, and my brothers, although not scholars, did just fine.
            The area has been extremely crime-ridden for years (unless there’s been major clean-up done since I was last down there), so I can only imagine the “thuggishness” of the current student body, after parents have enrolled their children in private schools or moved out.
            After reading, I am a somewhat uplifed that school personnel and parents are just as horrified as I am, as are the comments..

4. Patriot Dreamer says:

Cue Dr. Thomas Sowell…

5. So they’ll be content having black students graduate who cannot read their own diplomas?
    Truly pathetic.

6. g8rmom7 says:

You know what is sad? It has just gotten worse. When I was in HS, there were A LOT kids that were at the top of the class in my school that were black. A couple went to Ivy league schools and everything…now I’m sure their race gave them a bit of an edge, but they had the grades too. Sad.

7. Sharon says:

And once again, it’s the left that institutionalizes racism.

Who was it who spoke of the soft tyranny of lowered expectations…or something like that? I may have the phrase scrambled….

8. James F says:

The ones hurt most by this will be the intelligent black students who actually work hard and study. Their 4.0 will now have an asterisk by it in the worlds eyes.

Excellent student* Highly intelligent*

*for a black student

Disgusting.

9. diwataman says:

Am I reading this right then? They want to reduce those numbers to;

62% to 26%(-58%) of black students can’t read at or above the grade level.
    47% to 19%(-59%) of Hispanic students can’t read at or above the grade level.
    31% to 12%(-61%) of White students can’t read at or above the grade level.
    (25?%) to 10% of Asian students can’t read at or above the grade level.

Seems they are trying an across the board 60% reduction, which would put Asians currently at 25%(the current Asian level was not mentioned so I’m just inferring). And they want to do this in six years? Quite a lofty goal and is going to put a lot of pressure on teachers, the result of which I’m sure will not go well. That is one of the problems I see here.

• Sharon says:

Why are they content to “plan for” so many poor readers? Might want to start by reducing all their pay for firing about 30% of the teachers presently in the system who obviously are not effective teachers. Looks to me like the pressure on the teachers is overdue….

I find this is really irritating …..which reduces my ability to be reasonable. So I’ll go away now! (You do good work with all these numbers, D-man!….thanks…..)

10. diwataman says:

I wanted to add that I think the CBS article is misleading. As we can see by my other comment the board is applying an equal expectation across the board, regardless of race, so in that sense it is not race based. All they are doing is saying they want a 60% reduction in students who can not read at the grade level. It is only by default that it accepts the differences between race percentages.

• Sharon says:

Ah. Good observation. I still would like to hear them address how they justify planning that (years in the future) there is a PLAN for X-number of students to not be reading well, and when they happens–they will pat themselves on the back and say they “met plan.”

• arkansasmimi says:

What about the students who transfer in or worse OUT of the area? So they were “up to par” so to speak in their ratio, family and child think doing up to standard, then move to another School… wow. I know this happens now, but for the most part I would hope students are pushed to their ability and a lil beyond. This still bothers me and I dont live there. It is wrong, in my opinion…

• diwataman says:

I don’t even know what the plan actually is for a 60% reduction. It’s sounds absurd to me though to expect such a high number. Sure I can state I would like to see 60% more income, doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. What they literally state is that this percentage of people is not passing at level 3 or above on the FCAT 2.0. So what does that mean? Beats me, I haven’t looked at it. But I don’t think it means literally like these students can’t read, just that they are not meeting the FCAT 2.0 test requirements for reading. Does that mean they will have trouble with Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey? Probably. Am I going to freak out about that? Probably not. Though I would like to see philosophy and critical thinking taught from grade school on up. I think that would help. Let’s make that required courses K-12.

11. ctdar says:

I remember how hard I worked for a true “A”
    These days it seems like an “A” is a C+
    After just going thru college process, I know how hard my oldest son worked to get decent GPA/SAT scores which opened the door of colleges he could choose from. well, bout to start it over again and learning with different schools my younger son is looking at, many colleges/univs don’t require Standarized tests!!! So now supposed to spend @50K+/year and not base candidates on any testings? How bout go both ways and have a sliding scale on tuition fees based on what parents want to pay??

12. akathesob says:

Absolute madness and one of the most racist BS mandates yet. I however could expect no less from this dam state called FloriDuh!

13. lovemygirl says:

Just out of curiosity I looked up the board and their race.

Florida Department of Education Board

Gary R. Chartrand – White
    Roberto Martinez – Hispanic
    Sally Bradshaw – White
    A.K. Desai – Asian
    Barbara S. Feingold – White
    John R. Padget – White
    Kathleen M. Shanahan – White
    Pam Stewart – White

14. geosurface says:

I actually don’t think this is stupid at all. The insistence on treating all people like they are exactly the same, blank slate, identical… has actually lead to lowering and lowering and lowering of standards for ALL kids, so that those at the bottom could still pass.

This has also been applied even at levels like Harvard, watch the video “Affirmative Action Hoax” on YouTube, goes into great detail about this. Law enforcement, fire fighters, doctors, you name it. Professions have lowered and lowered their standards until everybody could pass.

It’s better to do it this way, so that at least some people are ending up with a proper education. Rather than nobody ending up with one at all.

• Sharon says:

I refuse to accept the apparent premise that some races are lower IQ than others, and they are putting infrastructure in place that affirms the premise. That’s Margaret Sanger doctrine.

• diwataman says:

Not really. They are just not dealing with that particular problem, which already exists, within this particular area of the report, as I said the article is misleading. Here are the actual decreases in groups who can’t read at their grade level they would like to see;

Students w/Dis. 69.01%
        White 61.29%
        American Indian 60.00%
        Hispanic 59.57%
        Asain 58.33%
        Eng. Lang. Leaners 58.20%
        Black 58.06%
        Econ. Dis. 48.14%

• Sharon says:

Thanks for the clarifications, D-man. It looks like two issues have been conflated in the article, poorly so. I certainly hope not deliberately so. But I think both are stand-alone issues.

If they have a problem, fine–go ahead and fix it. But should they not have (since they are so smart) have anticipated the potential misunderstandings of intent? Seems to me they’re pretty sloppy about perceptions. And since sloppy communication and misdirection is a primary tool of the left, at least for me, it brings the suspicions right to the surface.

Remember what Rahmbo said, “Never let a crisis go to waste.” Maybe they have a fer-real crisis here that is useful for lowering resistance to defining everyone by race, status, class, physical abilities…..the underlying slippery slide IS an issue, whether the confusion in the article is unintentional or not. My opinion.

• Josh says:

Well stated, Sharon. I agree with you.

• ctdar says:

Geosurface- you agree with the dumbing down of America? You would rather accept mediocrity? Why should one kid that does not do the work get considered the same as a future Einstein, Edison or Bill Gates. Hard work should get rewarded not denied.
      How bout start with qualified teachers whose only agenda is to teach the core basics and those students that don’t pass the grade requirement for each year does not pass go so does not get waved on thru to the next level.

15. diwataman says:

There’s quite a bit of confusion about this article, not just here but in the article itself and the comments over there as well. Here’s how I see it, I hope this helps. As it currently stands, according to the pdf, these are the percentages and their groups of who can not read at their grade level;

Students w/Dis. 71%
    Eng. Lang. Learners 67%
    Black 62%
    Econ. Dias. 54%
    Hispanic 47%
    American Indian 45%
    White 31%
    Asian 24%

The particular area of the pdf the State is dealing with is not addressing the discrepancy between groups. It is only saying what the State would like to reduce those numbers to;

Students w/Dis. 22%
    Eng. Lang. Learners 28%
    Black 26%
    Econ. Dias. 28%
    Hispanic 19%
    American Indian 18%
    White 12%
    Asian 10%

or as I stated earlier and if we just look at race we can see they are merely applying right around a 60% reduction to each group, that is equal;

White 61.29%
    American Indian 60.00%
    Hispanic 59.57%
    Asian 58.33%
    Black 58.06%

Yes, the discrepancy remains but I’m sure they have other legislation regarding that. Now let’s say they instead wrote they would like to reduce those percentages like this;

Asian 25%
    White 30%
    American Indian 35%
    Hispanic 40%
    Black 50%

That would mean they would like to reduce the percentage of black students who can’t read at their grade level by 50%, Whites 30%. That would be targeting one group over the other. They are not doing that here. They are saying regardless of your group we expect to see the same rate of increase.

Maybe in some other report somewhere it acknowledges the discrepancy between groups and they lay out some plan but this isn’t it.

Well, I hope that helps.

16. LandauMurphyFan says:

Actually, I don’t think the plan itself is as outrageous as many of you seem to think. As I read it, the plan isn’t aiming to give an unfair advantage to some ethnic groups or to allow them to achieve the same grade with lower marks. If a child needs to end up with an average of 70-79% in order to get an A grade, that child will still need to achieve an average of 70-79% to get an A grade. So under this plan, the value of the grade will remain the same regardless of the student’s ethnicity. What the Board has done that DOES seem racist is to say that AA children are much less likely to achieve that A grade than the rest of the children in the class.

Is that racist or simply a recognition of the facts?

The Board has said that “setting goals for different subgroups was needed to comply with terms of a waiver that Florida and 32 other states have from some provisions of the federal No Child Left Behind Act”. I read that as meaning that the school is no longer allowed to have a goal of having, say, 70% of the student body be able to read at their grade level or above. Instead, it must have a goal for what percentage of each different ethnic group is required to read at that level, in order to comply with the terms of the waiver. So the Board is saying that while it’s realistic to expect 70% of white and Asian children to read at their grade level of above, it’s unrealistic to expect 70% of Hispanic or AA children to read at that level.

Is that racist or simply a recognition of the facts?

According to the article, in terms of literacy, “the percentage of white students scoring at or above grade level (as measured by whether they scored a 3 or higher on the reading FCAT) was 69 percent in 2011-2012, according to the state. For black students, it was 38 percent, and for Hispanics, it was 53 percent.”

THERE is where our indignation should lie – at the fact that MORE THAN 60% OF BLACK AMERICANS – and 47% of Hispanics – CAN’T READ AT THE LEVEL APPROPRIATE FOR THEIR AGE. And if Obama or any other politico REALLY cared for the welfare of these groups instead of just wanting their votes, THAT is what they would be addressing. Obama has the distinction of being the first American president whose skin colour enables him to address this issue w/o accusations of racism, but instead of striving to work with leaders in the black community to raise the academic standing of their youth, all he wants to do is buy their votes by giving them the easy option – and a free phone.

Truly a racist president.

• Josh says:

What needs to be done, beginning yesterday, is to stop looking at people based on race. I am speaking to all levels of government. Most every government form asks “race”. What the freak does race matter in most situations?!?!???

Teach the children. Period.

17. Pingback: Thinking about the Coming Election and other stuff – | danmillerinpanama

18. Pingback: Opinion Forum » Thinking about the Coming Election and Other Stuff …

19. Pingback: Thinking about the Coming Election and Other Stuff … | Current News World Web Source for News and Information

20. Sharon says:

AFFIRMATIVE ACTION & THE PROBLEM OF “MISMATCH”: Excellent op-ed in the Wall Street Journal by Richard Sander and Stuart Taylor about the problems caused by academic “mismatch” that results from race-based affirmative action in university admissions. The bottom line according to Sander and Taylor (both of whom confess to formerly supporting affirmative action):

There is now increasing evidence that students who receive large preferences of any kind—whether based on race, athletic ability, alumni connections or other considerations—experience some clear negative effects: Students end up with poor grades (usually in the bottom fifth of their class), lower graduation rates, extremely high attrition rates from science and engineering majors, substantial self-segregation on campus, lower self-esteem and far greater difficulty passing licensing tests (such as bar exams for lawyers).

Aw, gee, who saw that coming.

21. Bernadette says:

What happened to the schools that educated all students to read and write? What happened to “all men are created equal”? This looks like another liberal attempt to once again enslave the black man, except now, Hispanics, and other minorities have been included. What future are we giving our minority children when we tell them that they are not as intelligent as White and Asian children? Why are we not teaching that with hard work and determination, all children can succeed?

, I